Tescos scrap 24 bikes worth £4000.....

Re:

I don't get it.

Each bike has a resale value of £166.00.

If this is true and they are just dumping stuff like this, then I think It's disgusting. I bought toys today for an appeal run on behalf of the Children's Hospice South West, they would have loved those bikes as a donation.

Am I missing the punch line?

al.

Re:

It is wrong without a doubt.
But, even if they were brand new, if they give them away or suchlike, they run a risk of being sued by some idiot if something goes wrong.
The same reason they won't let you take food they throw away that might be a day out of date.

The punchline is they are appalling bikes and probably have a 'List price' of £170 but those kind people at Tescos flog them for the 'knock-down' price of £100. They are aren't even worth £50 in my book.

They are the sort of thing that put people off cycling they are so badly made.
A second hand anything for £20-£30 is way better than one of these awful things.

Re: Re:

al":1wid20zb said:
I don't get it.

Each bike has a resale value of £166.00.

If this is true and they are just dumping stuff like this, then I think It's disgusting. I bought toys today for an appeal run on behalf of the Children's Hospice South West, they would have loved those bikes as a donation.

Am I missing the punch line?

al.

I used to do the North Devon Grand Tour in my mini every year for the Children's Hospice South West and visited Little Bridge House a few times. A great charity and very deserving.

There'd be so much work involved getting serviceable bikes out of them that it would take a damn good mechanic ages to get them even half worthwhile - and then they'd still be crap....

But it is pretty insensitive of them.

I doubt the agency driver who complained will be getting called back...

This kind of waste is everywhere. It was a waste of time, resources and energy to produce these things in the first place, never mind ship them half way around the world. Chucking them in the skip after a few years on display is only the cherry on top.

I suspect from Tesco's point of view it was simply easier and cheaper to skip them than compound the waste problem. Still I suspect one would have taken them off their hands.

The difficulty is that these bikes were terrible even when new an carefully assembled. Finding a load in s skip, repairing them and making them safe for the road wouldn't have been worth it. The bikes would only fetch as little as £20 - £40 each.

Re:

Big retailers would probably rather dump stuff than give it away for free. A lot of good food produce can go out as waste. If the bikes were all in working order, it seems a shame to 'skip' them. May be its easier/cheaper if they're not in saleable condition and if so, may be they're avoiding the potential of the legal claims culture by ditching them if they're not in condition. Couldn't they be fixed up and charitably donated?

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":3mr04mc9 said:
If the bikes were all in working order, it seems a shame to 'skip' them. May be its easier/cheaper if they're not in saleable condition and if so, may be they're avoiding the potential of the legal claims culture by ditching them if they're not in condition. Couldn't they be fixed up and charitably donated?
Many of these BSOs are barely in working order when brand new out of the box. Three years on display, and missing parts (many of which probably conform to no known standard, living or dead) will see them well beyond economic repair, or even the remotest chance of it being physically possible to repair them.

A charity bike recycler *may* have been able to cobble a dozen usable bikes together out of that lot. But i'd not bet any money on it.

Resale value was probably nearer £1.66, if you'd weighed them in for the scrap.

Latest posts

Back