Tamiya RC Cars

Re:

Got my folks to dig this out of the loft over christmas, I now need to buy a pack of AA batteries to see if it runs!.

Matt

Attachments

• 0CC71751-B25B-4E55-B25D-CC9F4A7E81EE.jpeg
    0CC71751-B25B-4E55-B25D-CC9F4A7E81EE.jpeg
    47.8 KB · Views: 352
Nice thread to read through and bring back some memories. I remember my Dad and I building a Tamiya Super Sabre together back in the day

A couple of years ago I walked past a charity shop in Cambridge and there in the window was a Tamiya 001 chassis, 4x4 drive, in bits in a box. Like this - the red and black 4x4:

Er....4 pounds 50 pence.

'Not sure it works....' the nice person in the shop said. No controller. No battery. Bought it. Bought a controller. Bought a new digital receiver. Bought a battery. Strewth it's quick. Huge fun.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It brings me such joy that I've not only found a huge clan of nostalgic mountain bikers with this forum, but that many of you also had the childhood bug with Tamiya and Kyosho. My brother built a Kyosho (can't recall which one), but I could never save up enough for one. But always drooled over the Rothman 959. Such a killer machine....

Just built this a couple of weeks ago. My first build and quite chuffed how well I managed to follow the excellent instructions. Kit comes with adjustable suspension oil shocks and full bearings so not much else needed, but liPo cell and brushless motor added for good measure.

The boy managed to launch it into a wall and bend the front rods one side, then the next day a summersault into a tree in the park sorted out the other side.

Attachments

• IMG_20210721_211157.jpg
    IMG_20210721_211157.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 2
Hornet for me, followed by a Schumacher cat and carpet racer, which was bonkers fast!

Gave the whole lot away probably 30 years ago!

Oh well.....if only you could keep everything you ever owned!

I want to rebuild my Wild Willy I.

one of the trailing arms of the front suspension layout is knackered and the tyres are cracked as well. As I know that parts for WW I are almost unobtainable, I was thinking of having the trailing arms 3 D printed. Do you know if this had been done and I can borrow the files for printing them, or how is offering this ?

What's the best solution for tyres ?

Thanks,

Huge number of parts available on ebay - from silly prices to very reasonable.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I’ve decided that over the Christmas period I’m going to rebuild and restore my original Monster Beetle.

AD206D4D-2054-4C7A-BA65-55B9DC6F4CFF.jpeg

I’ve spent a chunk of the weekend reverse engineering (taking it apart 🤣 ), and re-bagging all the bits into their original categories so the rebuild should be as easy as if being built for the first time. But I’ll be giving each part a clean as I go.

I remember receiving this as either Christmas or Birthday present around ‘88 or ‘89, and whilst I did a good enough job, there we’re definitely some build errors - which will be corrected this time around!

I’ve identified missing / broken bits and ordered a bunch of replacements online, so should be able to make good progress over the holidays. Just need to pay a visit to the hobby store and pick up the various paints required.

Looking forward to having it looking fresh and complete once more :cool:

Latest posts

Back