Syncros Powerlite restoration advice

should have gone with Switchblades, nobody would have been too upset if there wasnt a Syncros sticker on every part of your build...

img_1890_149.jpg

legrandefromage":1mhrj4rj said:
should have gone with Switchblades, nobody would have been too upset if there wasnt a Syncros sticker on every part of your build...

but i have more than one pair of forks to work from! i should be able to get at least one good pair on the bike! ;)

RockiMtn":1xip926o said:
bagpipes":1xip926o said:
Found a thread on MTBR that has suggestions including having a welder add an extension. Looks like a pretty nice job too.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t ... +extension

merci for the link! gives another promising option if needed to go that route.

I'll be looking into this option and get back to you with an approximate cost. I have a steer tube that could use some length added to it as well.

I know that adding threads is do-able at most bike shops. It's not cheap considering what's actually being done but I understand the cost of the tool is pretty expensive. I've had threads added in the past and it worked very well and only took minutes to do.

finally found some time to get back to working on my bike projects.

since there seemed to be no other way to take them off, i bit the bullet and drilled a small hole in the hard plastic cap on the fork leg that had been infected with the "baby rattle" effect.

with a hold drilled, i turned the leg upside down and shook it. particles came out like a pepper shaker. had to drill incrementally larger holes to help get all the particles out. after which, i sprayed the crap out of the leg with some WD40.

is there anything else out there i can spray to coat and inhibit any more internal rusting? would people recommend using framesaver or rust extender?

Attachments

• IMG_2307.JPG
    IMG_2307.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 858
  • IMG_2309.JPG
    IMG_2309.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 857
Hi rockimtn. It been a crazy long time since the last post on this thread. I’m trying to build a 91 rocky stratos to replace one that was stolen years ago and just thought I’d ask if you had any left over syncros bits. In Winnipeg. Thx

Back