Surprise 4%

shedobits

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I've been thinking about posting this for a week or so, [OK calming down].

Recently I agreed to pay the full asking price including postage on an item advertised here on Retrobike. I gave the seller my delivery address and asked for his PP addy. He replied by return and then asked for an extra 4% or wanted the money to be sent gift.

OK it was still a bargain at a fraction of the new price even with the extra £1.68 he wanted.

The result is that the item is still for sale and I'm still looking, both of us have lost out really.

I've been buying and selling on here for 5 years and have noticed a trend recently of more sellers asking for gift or fees [I've just seen an add on here asking for 5%]. Now it's up to me if I pursue the sale but I wouldn't pay an extra surprise fee if I was buying in a shop.

Am I being a tight wad or not?

OK rant over.

No, it's really annoying.

Rules (or guidelines) say no gift.

The seller should include all the costs they want, including postage and set a price - simple.

One forum I'm on will just lock any ad that doesn't comply with the total price rule.

Don't really understand the whole concept of the 4%.
Everyone who I have dealt with has just given me the full price for the product and postage .

If you pay gift, it adds the cost on (I think it's closer to 2%) and the buyer pays (or is given the option of who pays), if you pay goods, the seller pays.

But you only get protection with goods.

Re:

I list my items for sale as Paypal gift or buyer pays the Paypal fees for a goods payment. I know it isn't recommended but I would never insist someone paid by gift. It gives the people who trust me (or who want to take a risk) the option of saving a few quid (or a few pence depending on value). It seems to be more the norm rather than the exception from what I see on here.

fagin":bieuiv0u said:
If you pay gift, it adds the cost on (I think it's closer to 2%) and the buyer pays (or is given the option of who pays), if you pay goods, the seller pays.

But you only get protection with goods.

If you send money as a gift then there are no fees as long as there is no currency conversions or cross border transactions. The standard transaction fee for a goods payment is 3.4% + 20p

Re:

Nothing to disagree with here but he asked for the extra in the last of several PMs not in the body of the add. I felt I was being taken for a mug.

Re: Re:

shedobits":dvwgrcsf said:
Nothing to disagree with here but he asked for the extra in the last of several PMs not in the body of the add. I felt I was being taken for a mug.

That's the key point. As long as its clear in the original for sale post I think that's fine. I personally won't do gift as I wish to benefit from PayPal protection in the event of a problem.

John J":1wx4c3ze said:
shedobits":1wx4c3ze said:

That's the key point. As long as its clear in the original for sale post I think that's fine. I personally won't do gift as I wish to benefit from PayPal protection in the event of a problem.

Agree with both of these. If I missed it out in my T's and C's then I wouldn't try to add it at a later date. I would never object to someone wanting to pay 'goods' for peace of mind.

shedobits":3e64n3fz said:

Then I do see your point. For my part, I state gift or pay the fees, as I feel my prices are about as competitive as I can get them and I often end up practically giving stuff away. Those that know me well don't have a problem with paying gift, anyone else can check out my feedback and then decide.

After being burned once or twice using 'gift' myself on here in the early days when buying, I use the above, ie post count, and feedback, of the seller now as my measure of their trustworthiness, and pay the fees if in any doubt at all.

Back