Sunbeam bicycle, How you would know the manufacture year?, any advice?

Leo2022

Retro Newbie
Hi all

Thank you in advance to any comment

I recently got acquainted with a friend who owns a 1934 Sunbeam bike, I have to say the Sunbeam history fascinated me so I am trying to buy one, prices go from £100 to up to £2000
I believe the age as well as the overall conditions of the bike have to do with the price, but I believe also it has to do as well with the offer and the demand.
I am quite ignorant so please correct me if I am wrong. I think BSA, Raleigh, Royal Enfield bikes are as good as Sunbeam' but in somehow I think Sunbeam bikes are maybe slightly inflated.

If you are aware of a reasonably priced one please let me know
I hope I am wrong, any comment or advice would be highly appreciated
Thank you

Easiest way to get started on the year is the date code on the Sturmey hub body. Of course it's no guarantee but they as so durable it's a good guide.

I have a sunbeam from around the late 30s with 26" wheels. Suit someone about 5'9-5'11. The front brake needs fettling but other than that it's in great condition. Was planning to sort out the brake then sell it. Would hope to sell it for around 250.
Sunbeams where very well made, however Raleigh's where also well made and designed to be easier to maintain. Think of the sunbeam as rolls Royce (luxury) and the Raleigh as a ford (designed to be used)

I've had it for years. It's my only Sunbeam but I have too many bikes I don't ride enough. Can't remember exact year or model, but I'm sure I can find out, of the top of my head it's the gold model with the full "oilbath" chaincase.
Sorry it's the only pic I have on my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_102606.jpg
    IMG_20210312_102606.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 10
Back