summer Ride - Aviemore revisit - 17/18TH July 2015 - BOOKED

Re: summer/autumn epic planning thread

I would be up for the Aviemore in July, just not the first weekend as have to be at a wedding, otherwise happy to go with the flow.

Jamie

Re: summer/autumn epic planning thread

keithyr":1k08o3x6 said:
Having read and looked at this the Ben lomond might be a bit more challenging than I thought and not really retro friendly
m.youtube.com/watch?v=HSibJuJ438g

not half :LOL: :LOL: the % ride-able was way down on what we'd hoped for, the decent is ace... on full bounce, perhaps a not as much full on a zaskar with mags :p

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=256497&hilit=Ben+Lomond&start=20

Ryvoan Pass is a nice ride and sizable according to conditions and needs, the wee detour we accidentally took above and down to Glenmore lodge was a big grinner (pictured in the Ride Resource sticky)

Re: summer Ride - Aviemore revisit - July 2015 UPDATE

ok lads as we have settled on July and Aviemore i propose the following:

Friday night arrival at Aviemore Bunkhouse (or Rothiemurchus campsite). The bunkhouse has 2 dorm rooms available a 4 and a 6 for both sat and sunday night at £20 per person per night which is the same price as a tent a rothie. I thhink this would be a good shout as the pub is next door!

Saturday 10am we head down towards Loch Morlich and turn up at Bagaduish outdoor centre for the start of the clockwise loop of the Ryovan pass. this is a 40km ride in pretty remote but wide forest and open countryside trails and is truly stunning. There is even a section of the speyside way and a wee bit of road riding for the girls. The trails are fairly easy blue/red grade and perfectly retro friendly. Depending on how we are feeling there is also the option to extend this to take the bikes up the nearby munro of Bynack More which is an easy path with water bars but this is an option. there is also other options to take in some single track in the Abernethy forest.

This will be a 5hour or so ride including blether/pee/food stops. there is a nice cafe in Boat of Garden and also on the return loop at Glenmore.

Saturday night - meal and refreshments in the old bridge inn.

Sunday 10am depart and head either for Laggan wolftrax or the new Glen Livet red.

I have checked the bunkhouse at the free weekends are 10/11th, 17/18th and 24/25th - my preference would be the 17/18th but can do either to suit the majority.

Now i need to pay either the campsite or bunkhouse upfront so will need confirmed commitment and payment for the number of nights you are staying in the bunkhouse. I will accept payment via PP gift when i book.

would love to see retro bikes on this but it is not compulsory as i will be asking a couple of mates also.

names below for attendance please.

I'll be along for the Sunday ride for definite, not planning on staying overnight, so no need to book accommodation.

Re:

I'd be up for the Sunday ride just to visit another trail centre other than GT. Problem as usual would be transport, if no one can shift me at least to and from a train station i cannot go. 17th/18th suits me best date wise and I'd come up the Saturday by train to get some beer and grub in with youse lot before the Sunday run. I cant do a 2 day..er due to the ME. I'd bring some retro bounce, I'm never doing Laggan rigid ever again !
Fine to camp or bunkhouse though bunkhouse better from a kit I got to carry point of view.

I'd be up for this for the 17/18th and would stay friday night and Sat. depends on date as the first weekend I am away at a wedding.

Jamie

Re:

ok from a purely selfish point of view the 17/18th does suit me best and appears to suit those so far, so lets make that the target if at all possible.

looking good.

Re:

As was said to me on numerous occasions when I was trying to please too many punters.....Pick a Date and stick by it. Those who want to go will go if humanly possible ;)

ooops. Pressed the edit button instead of the quote one. Sorry. :oops:

Re: Re:

velomaniac":26jiys60 said:
As was said to me on numerous occasions when I was trying to please too many punters.....Pick a Date and stick by it. Those who want to go will go if humanly possible ;)

ooops. Pressed the edit button instead of the quote one. Sorry. :oops:

Yup. Spot on. You're organising Keith, so you pick the dates. No good if the organiser can't go, and you can never please everyone. ;)

I'm a hopeful for this for the Saturday ride. Probably not the Sunday ride. If I make it I would be staying the Friday and Saturday but would prefer the Rothie campsite than the bunkhouse so happy to make my own arrangements for that.

17/18th works for me. A good loop that Ryvoan one, although I've only done it the other way round. Lots of nice tracks on the Rothiemurcus Estate that we could use to extend to ride on the way back if we wanted.
Would imagine that Laggan on Sunday would suit people more than Glenlivet as it is on the way back down the A9 anyway. Pretty brutal on a retro though!

Back