Sub 5 - does it still cut it

dg01

Dirt Disciple
Hi,
Coming from the other (road) side, I've been offered an Orange Sub 5 for sale. Does it still cut it as a decent mountain bike considering it is going on for 20 years old?

All feedback gratefully received.

Cheers,
D

Last edited:
It really depends on what/where you plan to ride it.
Yes it will be outclassed by most similar modern bikes, but unless you’re doing bike park trips every weekend then for 90% of riding it’ll still be good enough.

It'll be as good as it was back then, which was perfectly fine for most people.

You'll notice potholes less and compared to my rigid and front sus bikes, it'll probably be comfier on the offroad too.

It's almost certainly better than an X1 too, which compared to your modern Sub5 is old, has a silly suspension setup ....
i.e. it's also newer than 1997 ;-)

I imagine the biggest weakness will be the shock and forks. If you replace them with more modern ones it should still ride well. Speaking as some one who has been riding various Orange full suss bikes since 2005.

Just to echo what others have said, yes, it should be fine, it is still a mountain bike, even 20yrs later, so will handle most things, though these days certain man made trails are more rideable on more modern or purpose designed bikes but even those are within reach of a half decent mountain bike if you so desire. The shocks are worth checking though, you can still get them serviced if they need it and will work fine and still be capable.

Back