Stronglight TS chainsets - need some help

Woz

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Stuggling at the moment, and I've had a Stronglight TS chainset on the short list which may save the day.

Would appreciate some help from someone who knows these very well.

Understood that these are a very early square taper crank, and that's what I'm after. Can't find much info. on the bottom bracket spindle though.
- were these designed for 5 / 6 speed rear spacing? Any issue with a 120mm OLN?
- what was the recommended BB choice from Stronglight back in the day?
- what length spindle and what sort of a chain line does it give?
- what is the distance between the bearing butts on the spindle?
- what is the taper? Is it JIS or ISO or a great mystery....?

Cheers for any help!

No. Was a frustrating session.

Got three JIS cup and cone style BBs in French thread, all Japanese Tange or Sugino in great condition which I thought I would use. Attempted to get the old fixed cup out using a bench vice, no go it slipped and I didn't want to insist and bugger everything up. Then attempted with a massive Facom adjustable wrench which didn't slip but I couldn't budge it. Not sure I want to get the blow-torch in there too :(

Then thought about keeping the old cups and replacing just the spindle - again no go because of the different bearing shoulders on the JIS spindles. Then tried another French cottered spindle and it all fitted perfect. It got me thinking that if I get an early French made square taper spindle it may just work out. Hench my detailed questions in the OP.

I see in the first exploded diagram above, part 330 seems to be in the BB number 34. I'm guessing that Stronglight may have thought about such retro-fits and this could get me out of a tricky situation. BB number 34 seems very very close to the old Torevess I have too so it's worth a chance.

Getting Stronglight TS cranks is easy enough around here, but they are all with French pedal threads of course :rolleyes:. To get TS cranks in 9/16" means shopping abroad - so far found sets in Italy, Spain and Lithuania.

No. Was a frustrating session.

Got three JIS cup and cone style BBs in French thread, all Japanese Tange or Sugino in great condition which I thought I would use. Attempted to get the old fixed cup out using a bench vice, no go it slipped and I didn't want to insist and bugger everything up. Then attempted with a massive Facom adjustable wrench which didn't slip but I couldn't budge it. Not sure I want to get the blow-torch in there too :(

Then thought about keeping the old cups and replacing just the spindle - again no go because of the different bearing shoulders on the JIS spindles. Then tried another French cottered spindle and it all fitted perfect. It got me thinking that if I get an early French made square taper spindle it may just work out. Hench my detailed questions in the OP.

I see in the first exploded diagram above, part 330 seems to be in the BB number 34. I'm guessing that Stronglight may have thought about such retro-fits and this could get me out of a tricky situation. BB number 34 seems very very close to the old Torevess I have too so it's worth a chance.

Getting Stronglight TS cranks is easy enough around here, but they are all with French pedal threads of course :rolleyes:. To get TS cranks in 9/16" means shopping abroad - so far found sets in Italy, Spain and Lithuania.
What pedals came with EDN? Would it be easier to get French thread pedals for you rather than worry about 9/16"? Only way I've found with thin fixed cups is a length of 12mm ish studding and some thick washers to hold the spanner on. Also easier with the bike on its wheels. I assume you soaked it in plus gas? Old bikes are a pita no matter where they come from.

Reactions: Woz
Fully agree about the spanner. I was at the hardware store on Tuesday - biggest open ended spanner was 30mm. Need to ask a few more old mechanics or see what is at the charity store.

The EdN came with fairly good condition Lyotard in French thread (of course). The whole French pedal thing is something I would like to move away from. Choices are very limited, hard to find in even OK condition, and generally daft prices.

My thinking is if I'm going to spend more money on this project buy something a bit future proof. I also like my SPDs too. That would mean dumping all the cottered cranks etc. on Ebay to try and pull some expense back. Otherwise, keep most of what I have and just accept it all for what it is and move on. Oh la la, bike choices choices choices.

Back