Stripped STI Cover screw heads - Any Ideas

unkleGsif

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Last year I purchased some otherwise pretty mint M950 STI's from a member on here, that has a stripped screw head on the gear cable cover. This isnt a problem as it came with a decent cable still attached, however now due to an upgrade I am looking to replace the cables but obviously the damaged head is preventing this.

I have considered the "cut a slot and use a flat blade screwdriver" mothod, but due to the closeness of the rest of the shifter body, I cant really get much access to cut a slot

I will take a picture tonite and post up, but would welcome any bright ideas in the mean time

Cheers gents

G

shinobi":3f6jcw9t said:
Hi mate
Get yourself one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boa-Grabit-Dama ... 0096JDL2/2
worked great for me , if your anywhere near borrow mine :D
cheers Paul

I think those are too big :? is it the tiny screws ? Then id recommend a precision screwdriver and maybe some loctite to help the holding power. Then apply a lot of downward pressure and try to turn it ever so slightly. Failing that you could hammer in a slighly bigger size and see it that gives any extra purchase :?

Trickerly annoying but very satisfying when you finally get them out.

Indeed much too big...

It's the wee little tiny bugger that holds the cable cover on.... bottom of the 2 here

if allen key rounded can knock in a torx but wouldn't force if stuck, can cut a slot with dremel cutting disk

Allen key = 6 sides,
This most definately has 4ish round sides.

Going to have to try the dremmel, but need to buy a dremmel first

Give Twain a shout, he may have just what you need in terms of replacement screws, I did exactly the same thing on my Xt shifters and had to drill them out

Try a hacksaw blade on it's own to cut a groove in, first - you may be able to finesse it a bit better than using a dremmel and cutting disc and cutting some nice grooves in your STIs.

Neil":2rqhttov said:
Try a hacksaw blade on it's own to cut a groove in, first - you may be able to finesse it a bit better than using a dremmel and cutting disc and cutting some nice grooves in your STIs.

This ^ worked for me in the same situation before....

Back