Stolen Bike Recovery?

Rank_21":24l19j4n said:
I would call the police on the spot and say my bike has" just" been stolen and it looks like someone has it in the park nearby. If the person really stole it, he will say he "just found it".

Or he will show the police a picture of “his bike” last month on his phone which would blow that story out and make anything you say from that point unheard

Two options dependant on your personality....

1 report it , and ask what they suggest. Likely nothing will be done.

2. Go confront him

On the basis you didn’t confront him maybe option 2 is out as usually if you are the type to do that you would of done it. I know if I saw someone with a item of mine I wouldn’t help myself I’d have to say something.

Or pay a local “lad “ £50 to go retrieve it

d8mok":93vjpttn said:
Rank_21":93vjpttn said:
I would call the police on the spot and say my bike has" just" been stolen and it looks like someone has it in the park nearby. If the person really stole it, he will say he "just found it".

Or he will show the police a picture of “his bike” last month on his phone which would blow that story out and make anything you say from that point unheard

2. Go confront him

On the basis you didn’t confront him maybe option 2 is out as usually if you are the type to do that you would of done it. I know if I saw someone with a item of mine I wouldn’t help myself I’d have to say something.

I highly doubt a bike thief would take a picture of the bike they stole. Plus the poster has pictures of their bike. The thief would more than likely say they found it or bought it from a "friend" which they can't confirm (assuming this really is the said bike). Plus if OP has some photo evidence, their case is stronger. Without serial number, reporting it, is practically useless.

d8mok":bhbij7ow said:
Rank_21":bhbij7ow said:

2. Go confront him

This is the best advice yet, for the real world.

Police wont do anything, it is all down to you.

So either forget it, get it or get someone else to get it.

As far as I understand (i'll have to look back into it), you are perfectly right, in your rights, to just walk up to him or go onto his property to take back your property. As long as you can 100% prove it is yours.

Re:

quote="Rank_21"]
d8mok":37x2t1ah said:
Rank_21":37x2t1ah said:

2. Go confront him

I highly doubt a bike thief would take a picture of the bike they stole. Plus the poster has pictures of their bike. The thief would more than likely say they found it or bought it from a "friend" which they can't confirm (assuming this really is the said bike). Plus if OP has some photo evidence, their case is stronger. Without serial number, reporting it, is practically useless.[/quote]

Who’s to say the OP didn’t sell it? How police know.

Who’s to say the person riding it hasn’t purchased it legit and has photos of their new pride and joy?

Who to say the person riding it can’t produce proof he purchase it last month ?

There isn't a bike in existence that's worth getting stabbed for, and unfortunately that's a risk you run if you confront a thief without police backup. Call the police, get a crime number, then call them next time you see your bike. You'll be doing the hard work for them, so hopefully they'll jump at the chance to turn up, 'solve' the crime, and tick it off their list. Even if they didn't steal it themself, handling stolen property is a crime, so they'll need to explain how they got the bike, and that potentially raises all kinds of questions, so they may just say they found it to avoid incriminating themselves or their associates.

Re: Re:

d8mok":va3vquyb said:
quote="Rank_21"]
d8mok":va3vquyb said:
Rank_21":va3vquyb said:

2. Go confront him

I highly doubt a bike thief would take a picture of the bike they stole. Plus the poster has pictures of their bike. The thief would more than likely say they found it or bought it from a "friend" which they can't confirm (assuming this really is the said bike). Plus if OP has some photo evidence, their case is stronger. Without serial number, reporting it, is practically useless.

Who’s to say the OP didn’t sell it? How police know.

Who’s to say the person riding it hasn’t purchased it legit and has photos of their new pride and joy?

Who to say the person riding it can’t produce proof he purchase it last month ?[/quote]

I'm just thinking inside the logic of the thief. If I had stolen or, knew the bike was stolen, I would want to dissociate myself from the act. Especially if suddenly confronted by police. Infact if the person was not on the bike whilst being apprehended by them, a clever thief would instantly lay no claim to the bike if asked. They would say it isn't theirs. It's their best line of defence as they don't know the evidence against them. Only an idiot, knowing the bike is not legit would try to legitimize it as theirs.
Also I believe fabricating a story that the bike has just been stolen changes the scenario. Police act differently to an ongoing crime. If you manage to get the police and you, next to your stolen bike, chances are good.

Back