Stolen Bike Recovery?

Jake___

Retro Newbie
Hey not sure if I should post this here but was curious to hear other peoples opinions and experiences,

So my vintage Specialized Hardrock was stolen in December I didn't report it to the police, and kind of hoped it would turn up,

3 months later and me and a friend our meeting up my friend calls me saying hes just seen someone riding my bike and hes followed him to a basketball court in the park,

I turn up do a drive by of the bike to confirm its mine it is,

There's a fair few guys with him and 2 of us so we weren't sure on confronting them, although he may have looked like of someone that steals bikes doesn't mean he didn't buy it off someone else.

I felt like its not enough to call the police for and if we confront him the chances of him just giving it back were low, I was hoping there were some police floating around the park but there weren't.

So just wondering what people would advise when we see him again? Anyone have any experience of recovering a stolen bike like this? Is it best to get the police involved?

Im sure he will be at the basketball court again with MY bike so would like to have some kind of idea of what to do next time.

Thanks

It's a pity you didn't report the theft to the police when it happened. Do you have any proof of your ownership? Trying to recover it yourself sounds like a bad idea -- involving the authorities would be better, but not if it turns into a he-said she-said situation.

moonlite":2yaooaoy said:
It's a pity you didn't report the theft to the police when it happened. Do you have any proof of your ownership? Trying to recover it yourself sounds like a bad idea -- involving the authorities would be better, but not if it turns into a he-said she-said situation.

Yeah I do have some good quality photos of the bike with bits I added on which are still on it,

also I have a broken piece of plastic that came off one of the shifters, I don't think they have changed then so it would fit back in place perfectly.

I would confront him and tell him the bike is yours and was stolen, he will either a) be legit, in which case he will not mind getting the police involved, or b) not be legit in which case he will not want to get the police involved and most likely give the bike back.

Years ago bike theft was big around the town where i live, you can spot someone who doesn't belong on a certain bike, a friend used to approach them when he saw one riding through town and say loudly, "Hey, that is my bike!" they always tried to run, usually dropping the bike before hand :LOL:

Paris, 2 months ago : a guy finds his bike (stolen in 2019) a Genesis Day One 10, attached next to his work, he calls the police (he had filed a complaint in 2019), the police checks that it is indeed his bike (serial number) and cut the U-locks, and they give him back his bike

https://forum.velotaf.com/topic/35527-l ... e__st__260

what helped him:
- having filed a complaint for theft
- with the serial number

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-03-10 à 10.57.49.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-03-10 à 10.57.49.png
    333.5 KB · Views: 289
You're probably stuffed because you didn't report the theft.
Either they'll give you the bike back or kick you in ;-)
You have no proof you didnt just sell tham the bike, especially if they say otherwise.
You could of course ask the police for advice, that is what they're there for.

Always report the theft. It adds to the logs even if it doesn't seem they are doing anything, at least in the UK. I got my bikes back because of this.

FluffyChicken":17o36vcb said:
You have no proof you didnt just sell tham the bike, especially if they say otherwise.

Always report the theft. It adds to the logs even if it doesn't seem they are doing anything, at least in the UK. I got my bikes back because of this.

Yh i probably should have, what if I report it now would that help?

Jake___":hesek6c0 said:
FluffyChicken":hesek6c0 said:

Yh i probably should have, what if I report it now would that help?
Never too late to report it, lots of people delay reporting a host of offences for various reasons.
Bikes get stolen whilst people are out of the country and the reporting of it is delayed. But as fc says ring them, don't put it off. Be honest about it, the fact you have photos and can identify distinguishing marks etc helps.
I'd be cautious about confronting them-it depends on who you are and more importantly who they are! Me personally I'd be fetching my bike back one way or another :LOL: so if you are not the confrontational type then leave it to the boys in blue

I would call the police on the spot and say my bike has" just" been stolen and it looks like someone has it in the park nearby. If the person really stole it, he will say he "just found it".

Back