still looking at old CB frame..how old?

PaulB957

Retro Newbie
Hi..back after 5 years!! with pics this time!
…trying to pin down the age of my old CB bike. Had since a kid in the early 70s and it was 2nd hand then. It had the Olympic decals (what's left of them) and headset enamel Also wondering if it's worth the effort to restore. I have all the parts and wheels etc. Gears were Campag Gran Sport. Btm bracket no. looks like 4095. Any help gratefully accepted

Attachments

• 8AFC8230-8BB3-4BA9-9EC3-E61CCF7BB57F.jpeg
    8AFC8230-8BB3-4BA9-9EC3-E61CCF7BB57F.jpeg
    555 KB · Views: 41
  • 12A79F58-AC53-4153-AEE9-741DE9C58E53.jpeg
    12A79F58-AC53-4153-AEE9-741DE9C58E53.jpeg
    542.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 42870CD9-BBAF-450B-8786-C93684823337.jpeg
    42870CD9-BBAF-450B-8786-C93684823337.jpeg
    498.5 KB · Views: 37
Looks like a Holdsworthy frame, number from late 1959 to early 1960.
The williams chainset might have a date code also.
At that time The Holdsworthy Company sold Freddy Grubb as the cheapest, Claud Butler were mid range and Holdsworth were their top frames which could be built to specification. All sold as frames only or complete bikes. The cheaper ones were standard design only, which keeps cost down.
Holdsworth were also sold for own name.
Holdsworthy were a main importer and wholesaler to the trade.

Keith

Looks like a Holdsworthy frame, number from late 1959 to early 1960.
The williams chainset might have a date code also.
At that time The Holdsworthy Company sold Freddy Grubb as the cheapest, Claud Butler were mid range and Holdsworth were their top frames which could be built to specification. All sold as frames only or complete bikes. The cheaper ones were standard design only, which keeps cost down.
Holdsworth were also sold for own name.
Holdsworthy were a main importer and wholesaler to the trade.

Keith
Thanks for that Keith most helpful

ok now i’ve seen one for sale online, exact same. It’s a Claud Butler Classique. The guy selling it says it’s 1965. Is he wrong? or did they run that model right thru from 59 to 65? seems unlikely.

Next q: can you still get the decals for it?

ok now i’ve seen one for sale online, exact same. It’s a Claud Butler Classique. The guy selling it says it’s 1965. Is he wrong? or did they run that model right thru from 59 to 65? seems unlikely.

Next q: can you still get the decals for it?
Now then....
First off, yes it looks like the very capable upper mid-range Classique.
Yes the number 4093 suggests 1959
But.. the Classique was advertised in the Holdsworth Claud range from 1962-1968. So I've got a sneaking suspicion that somewhere under the muck/rust is the number 14093, which would put it in the third quarter of 1962.
The Olympic ring seat tube transfer/decal was also introduced at this time, never before.

I would suggest you have a late 1962 Classique.

Next question, is it worth it, possibly not if your intention is for monetary gain, and certainly if you get it professionally restored you wont get your money back. But it was/is a good bike and if you are able to restore it yourself you should get many years of enjoyment from it.

Stickers? Yes, of course. full complement from Steve at https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/collections/claud-butler

I'm happy to help you pick out the "correct" ones if you like.

Ps, a cast iron way to check the number is by removing the forks as there will be a clearer stamping on the steering tube.
But I’m pretty sure I can see a 1 at the front. EF3A8618-EAEB-4269-9DCD-F1AE045635AF.jpeg

Now then....
First off, yes it looks like the very capable upper mid-range Classique.
Yes the number 4093 suggests 1959
But.. the Classique was advertised in the Holdsworth Claud range from 1962-1968. So I've got a sneaking suspicion that somewhere under the muck/rust is the number 14093, which would put it in the third quarter of 1962.
The Olympic ring seat tube transfer/decal was also introduced at this time, never before.

I would suggest you have a late 1962 Classique.

Next question, is it worth it, possibly not if your intention is for monetary gain, and certainly if you get it professionally restored you wont get your money back. But it was/is a good bike and if you are able to restore it yourself you should get many years of enjoyment from it.

Stickers? Yes, of course. full complement from Steve at https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/collections/claud-butler

I'm happy to help you pick out the "correct" ones if you like.
that is incredibly helpful, thanks for your time on this.

Back