Steerer tube extension

I had a steerer extended at a frame shop. I wanted a thread less fit.
The steerer was cut half way, an internal steel sleeve was inserted and a blank steerer was put on top. Everything was brazed up to make a solid unit. It worked out marvellously. Because I was repainting the fork, I can't tell you how the brazing affected the original paint. Maybe a frame shop could advise on the particulars

rwm1962

that has nothing to do with his problem. Extending a threaded steerer tube is a whole different story.

Yeah okay but what Brodie does here is basically exactly what I do and suggested above. He has one welding seam in the end. I have 2. What basically doesnt matter at all.

How a professional frame builder would do it

Yeah okay but what Brodie does here is basically exactly what I do and suggested above. He has one welding seam in the end. I have 2. What basically doesnt matter at all.
Thanks guys.
I have already seen the Brodie clip.
I am giving up my silly ideas and looking for a spare steerer tube to use. Internal diameter should be 22.2mm and steel tubing of that size is readily available. There are no frame builders anywhere near here but I can get welding done quite easily. Even I can file and polish the end result!

Back