Steel frame - repair or replace a cracked dropout - advice needed

Foreigner

Senior Retro Guru
As you can see from the photo, there is a nice crack on the drive side dropout. No other damage can be seen and not sure how this happened. What would be best remedy, cutting a V shape grove into the crack and fill it or simply replacing droput(s)?

Frame is completely chromed under the paint and I would prefer not to strip it completely if at all possible and only repaint seat and rear stays if needed.
Comments please!

20220213_135835.jpg

I've seen some quite neat TIG repairs over the years and also some right dogs, I guess it depends on the quality of the welder, might be easier than replacing and less destructive?

That shouldn't be a problem for a skilled tig/mig welder, preferably someone used to doing light fabrication type work. Its certainly the route I'd take. I'm sure all will be well after.. 👍

As has been said; that is an easy repair for any decent mig/tig welder. Just needs a tiny channel dremeled along the course of the crack, for penetration, and after some post weld filing it'll be good as gold. The saving grace is the dropout hasn't opened up at the crack and got all distorted. That is normally when a new dropout is required.

As has been said; that is an easy repair for any decent mig/tig welder. Just needs a tiny channel dremeled along the course of the crack, for penetration, and after some post weld filing it'll be good as gold. The saving grace is the dropout hasn't opened up at the crack and got all distorted. That is normally when a new dropout is required.
Thanks, now just need to find that descent welder, any recommendations?

Thanks, now just need to find that descent welder, any recommendations?

If you are anywhere near Newbury or Andover, i can tip you on a friend who is very good. He does alot of racing car fabrication. I did know some more people in that industry but i am well out of the loop now.
I don't know any quality welders on this forum, but they must exist. There are quite a few on the LFGSS website, if you are london based, so worth asking there.

Back