Stay at home turbo trainer edition. Are they good or bad ?

madjh

98+ BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Many people are using turbo trainers this sad days. And I´m one of that guys. I have put my 97 Marin on it and it feels quite good, it is another way to use the bicycle but I have read lot of stories about turbo trainers: They can bend a steeld frame, or even crack it.

The thing is that my turbo trainer only have contact in the rear skewer and I don´t see how that can damage the frame. Perhaps if you moove a lot, you can flex the rear end?. Other don´t use a wheel and I see that type more dangerous to our frames if the are not rigid enough.

The advantage: It is quite clean, no dust or mud :LOL:

I hope this pandemic will pass soon and we can ride againg our favorites paths. ;)

I’ve not had any problems with my 90’s Rockhopper on my turbo. And it’s been used since 2017 for 5 hours a week. Boredom is the problem. But watching TV helps keep that away. Plus the knowledge that i’m getting fitter and faster.

Be aware that it can happen, and adjust your activity accordingly.

I recently ruined a very good frame from use on a turbo trainer myself, and I'd suggest only using a bike you consider expendable. There are good reasons to expect to damage your frame from use on a trainer -- when you pedal the bike while it's fixed in place by the rear ale, you stress the frame (mainly the rear triangle) in ways that it was not designed for, which can cause damage / cracks in the seat tube and chain stays.

It probably depends on a lot of factors, and if you're light and your bike is very sturdy you'll probably be OK. After all, most turbo users never experience a cracked frame. Mine cracked in two different places (seat tube and drive side chain stay) after only 10 hours total on the turbo trainer.

Re:

Family for me mean outside of the weekend,the only chance I get to put some miles on is in the evening once the kids have been put to bed. The turbo is a great way to get a quick hour in. I had been doing this before the lock down as Mayhem Preparation. Still keeping the miles going despite the cancellation.

The Cannondale is actually my wife's bike. We both use it on the turbo... The pedals are dual sided.... SPD for me, flats for her. There are 2 seat post/saddle combinations that get swapped over, both marked with our optimum heights for quick swap over/ installation.
The fan is great for cooling - recommended.
The bike is set with a cadence/ speed sensor - great for that extra push.
A Bluetooth speaker is great for amplifying over the sound of the spin.

It doesn't beat going out in the real deal but is a great top up when you can't.

Cheers
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 246
We're luckier in the UK because we are still allowed out for one walk/run/bike ride per day. I think a lot of us will get out more than normal! I did a long but remote ride and saw a few people up the first big hill but only 2 police officers up the second. I quickly worked out a technique to avoid being arrested. Importantly I was riding a classic MTB. https://wordpress.com/post/mountainbiker.online/1589

We're luckier in the UK because we are still allowed out for one walk/run/bike ride per day. I think a lot of us will get out more than normal! I did a long but remote ride and saw a few people up the first big hill but only 2 police officers up the second. I quickly worked out a technique to avoid being arrested. Importantly I was riding a classic MTB. https://wordpress.com/post/mountainbiker.online/1589

Good video tintin-40, the mount and dismount is the most delicate part of all. And I will never pedad standing up.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUcnDc4yld4[/youtube]

And ofcuourse I have protect the frame against sweat, it is amazing how much sweat is produce indoor ... Even the grips are protected and the floor ;)

Thank yo for all answers :)

Back