State of the industry: a running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm not convinced the current generation of eMTBs are particularly green. The guys I go out with are going through roughly a motor each a year. I'd estimate the average lifespan of the current generation of high end motors at 1K-2K miles. Maybe you can get more if you baby it but... That's not acceptable in my view.

Ebikes form an essential part of my commute nowadays. I'm doing around 2K miles a year on one. Due to a chronic health condition and living where I do, I simply couldn't do everything I do without one. I don't have a car though, and likely never will. My recreational cycling remains ebike-free though.

Best bet is to stay clear of the media, social or otherwise. I haven't watched the news on TV, read a paper or looked a news website for over a year now - and I'm happier, and much less anxious about the state of the world for it.

Best bet is to stay clear of the media, social or otherwise. I haven't watched the news on TV, read a paper or looked a news website for over a year now - and I'm happier, and much less anxious about the state of the world for it.

Here here!

Over here they have sold more e-bikes than usual bikes last year, for the first time, at an average price of 4000 € (!?). A lot of them are leased, so they need a service every year, you can't just diy. I reckon the state of the industry isn't too bad...

It's Lance Armstrong's fault. Did the Mamil and his ridiculously overpriced machines exist before the early 2000s? Hope they all go down in flames, Trek, Giant etc. They've ruined a cheap and eco friendly way of getting from A to B.

If you watch Hambini or Mapdec’s YouTube channels you’ll see loads of bikes built with really poor tolerances, often the bottom bracket machining or the head tube. These are often £££ bikes, reflecting how as an industry the manufacturers really aren’t delivering quality - regardless of the price point. I think these channels have helped open people’s eyes to what they’ve sold.

Yesterday I was working on my son’s ‘new’ hybrid, a Giant. The seat post was really sloppy in the frame and consequently the seat clamp over-tightened. It was marked as a 27.2mm, but measured 27.06mm on my verniers! How did that get through quality control?!

Still, it could be worse folks. We could be into fashion, and then we’d be stuffed: £2k backpack anyone?

Last edited:
One more try to keep this thread on topic.

This was something I was taught at a previous employer, that those companies who invest sensibly in innovation during times of difficulty, more often than not, come out in a stronger position. It's not fail-proof of course!

Still, it could be worse folks. We could be into fashion, and then we’d be stuffed: £2k backpack anyone?

Fashion has a lot to answer for. Run of the mill bikes being pushed as something 'new', with 'influencers' declaring the facts they seem new to as if it were gospel. Dodgy geezers with beards selling the lie that all derailleurs are the same, aluminium rides like steel, carrying your bike beats technical climbing every time, ignoring gravity when loading up bikes is fine, parts bin specials are 'creative' and 'individual'. Shoving enormous price tags on cheap things based on fashionability is the same process every 'niche' supplier enters into at some point. Catching the wave.

On topic: Kona is going back to a distributor model:

I saw an article on Hostess, who make the famous Twinkie bar; when going direct to shops a third of the company outlay was distribution costs. Presumably going to a distributor saves quite a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back