State of the industry: a running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last fixie boom was in part a reaction to the expense and complexity of showrooms full of 30 speed carbon full sussers.
Within a year, the big brands had their own on show, mismatched wheels out of the box!!(charge)

Maybe it's time again🤔.
I dont think trek will achieve their 90% target though without at v least some electronic shifting and variable suspension geometry.

At least you could still have a tubeless setup, thru axles (with titanium adjustable dropout) and a dropper post on the New Fixie?

I get all that you're saying, and i agree with you. I suppose my point is that there is demonstrably another way to be successful in life and the bike business - and that is what this thread is about.
By focusing on substance, quality, honesty and value we have a business that is continuing to grow at a time when many others in the sector are not - even in just the wheelbuilding world.

I don't earn a fortune but i earn enough and i love going to work - and i feel very lucky because of that.
I'm with you. There are people who propose alternative paths to that of consumerism. Problem is that these (small) voices are frequently drowned out by the mega-business that is part and parcel of consumerism. Market agencies, Press, Media, magazines etc etc. There's a whole stratum of business that exists simply to push the "aspirational dream".

In reference to the YouTube video, I got given a copy of Cycling Plus recently. There was a £12,000 bike, £8,000 bike and a pair of £5,500 wheels. The budget road bike test was £1,600 - £1,800. As the bloke said, 90% of the population aren’t interested in this stuff. I’d guess that of the 10% that are, only 0.25% can a actually afford it.

I'm more aligned to the Cycling Plus sister publication, Cycling Pleb!

In reference to the YouTube video, I got given a copy of Cycling Plus recently. There was a £12,000 bike, £8,000 bike and a pair of £5,500 wheels. The budget road bike test was £1,600 - £1,800. As the bloke said, 90% of the population aren’t interested in this stuff. I’d guess that of the 10% that are, only 0.25% can a actually afford it.

I also got a shock last time I borrowed some cycling magazines in the library. Cheapest bike in the whole magazine was 3800€, and it was just a mention of a new release. Tested bikes, the cheapest was 5400€. Best of all, the editorial in the first page was asking all cyclists to bring new people to the sport. I'm sure they feel they are doing their bit: "cancel your annual family holidays and get one of these nice toys just for you"...

In fairness, you and me got a shock because we are not the usual readers and target customers of those magazines. The people with plenty of space, disposable income, or no financial discipline are the usual buyers.

When I bought my first mtb in 1992, I read quite a few magazines to get myself "informed". I keep some of those and compared the magazine prices, even accounting for inflation, and today's magazines are even cheaper!! How could that be? Easy, less real content, more advertisements.

I think the theory goes that middle aged wealthier people are fitter, but can't afford sports cars so are spending on bikes.

Trouble is I reckon that market is also tapped out. The squeezed middle is genuinely a thing, even if their spending levels are inconceivable to everyday folks. Child and elder care ain't getting any cheaper, for sure.

There was always aspirational shite bitd too. Some of you may now be collectors of it now you have a bit more free cash than your teenage self had. Magazines are for those that cannot afford it, but like window shopping.

I'm with you. There are people who propose alternative paths to that of consumerism. Problem is that these (small) voices are frequently drowned out by the mega-business that is part and parcel of consumerism. Market agencies, Press, Media, magazines etc etc. There's a whole stratum of business that exists simply to push the "aspirational dream".

Maybe it is also time to start changing ourselves. We all find the joke about the "N+1" bikes funny. But a more realistic formula would be "Min (1, 1-N)", that is, the less bicycles you can get away with, the better, but at least 1 as the world is a better place when everyone has a bike. Hoarding 40 unused bikes and snapping deals in the used market is maybe not the best way to allow for affordable bikes for newcomers. And I am very guilty of this...

Last edited:
Hoarding 40 unused bikes and snapping deals in the used market is maybe not the best way to allow for affordable bikes for newcomers. And I am very guilty of this...
Tend to encourage cycling in others, and sort folks out with bikes. Part of it. Also make a point of using local businesses as much as we can, though we are fortunate to have a few.

Just for fun, I’ve had a look through my early MBUKs (1990) and it was just the same back then. Loads of pics of Klein Attitudes at £1999 (£5000 in today’s money) for a fully rigid aluminium bike. Bullseye cranks £220 (£550). Deore XT triple crankset £140 (£350). Bike test was £650 (£1600) budget.

Only thing that’s changed is us!

I totally agree about the marketing of x% improvement, but no one is forced to buy it.
Road bikes are the worst for it, as there’s so little to fundamental change, anything has to be highlighted.
In the early days entire frame designs changed every year, now at least frames are around for 3-4 years before being updated. In part, I think we can thank carbon for that, as companies don’t want to change moulds every year.
If you need a new bike there’s never been a better time. 20+ years of all these incremental improvements has made a massive difference. You used to only get suspension aftermarket, now you can get a decent fork on beginners bikes.
I’ve just changed my hardtail after 7 years. It had an entry level Yari fork. The new one has a Lyrik, which is a model up but not one of the top end ones. Even though the old fork was well maintained and serviced the new fork is so much better. There’s a three generation gap between the forks. I doubt I’d have noticed a single generation but three, yes.

The £2000-5000 range of bikes are more bike that anyone will ever need. As mentioned before taking into account inflation they are the same as the 90s stuff in price but perform so much better.

The thing with high end parts/ bikes is that they consciously make them higher than they technically should be so they are more exclusive. Same as many many other products. Marginal gains in performance but it pushes people to want it more.

If you are an enthusiast who loves bikes. Keeps your best bike for a few years , rides it all summer long and then sells it at 50% of its value at 3 years the whole thing is pretty cheap when you compare it to sitting in a pub 3 nights a week like many do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back