State of the industry: a running thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cotic are in the process of moving production to Europe. Some of their full suss stuff is already made in Scotland by Five Land Bikes and the latest version of the Solaris is now made in Czechia.
'Some' of their production. Cy, who owns them said they're moving production to insulate them from problems with far east availability (as well as environmental concerns). Can't imagine they'll want to move all production as the Czechia built frames look very expensive!

But if we stopped buying crap we didn't need half the world would be out off a job and economies would collapse, followed by society.
It would be ugly.
I disagree. In business, you can go for margin (ie. Ferrari) or you can go for rotation (ie Toyota). Some brands prefer to produce less, with higher margins (and hopefully higher quality) while most of the rest, thanks to our consumerism, prefer to produce and sell loads, with smaller margins to keep people buying.

Our parents only had a handful of clothes, because they were expensive, but they lasted longer and if not would be repaired. And the economy did just fine. Now we get our shirts in Zara for pennies and barely last a year, all the better because next time we want them in green instead of blue... And the wardrobe is full of crap

A more circular economy isn't impossible, but the transition is difficult.
The huge factory churning out disposable amazon rubbish isn't going to start darning socks without a whole load of changes, which might take some time.

I totally agree. I try to keep my posts balanced and not extreme - but I'm opposed to consumerism as a way of living, and my opposition grows with each year. The problem is that people accept consumerism as a necessity, not realising there are other ways. Ways less damaging to environment, health, society. People dont realise because they are conditioned by marketing (and governments) to be consumers.
1000% Pal.

They can probably manage 10% with staff retirement and resignation, voluntary redundancies, property leases and manufacturing contracts coming to an end
- the trouble will be if they still haven't sold their excess stock from the last year, 90% production could still be too much.
Most retailers are expecting to sell less than 90% of the recent boom times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back