Specialized Hardrock

Danthefestaman

Dirt Disciple
Good morning just a quick one out of interest does anyone know the year of this Hardrock? And what value they are in good condition? Frame similar to any othe models?

I know it's low range but I had one when I was a kid and one day want one back. I think then it was £330 and was about the same year as my favourite Kona's about 93 - 94 at a guess.

Pictures from eBay there is one for sale now but it's rough and I'm still doing my 90 Fire mountain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-08-11-08-58-05-648_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-08-11-08-58-05-648_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2021-08-11-08-58-22-345_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-08-11-08-58-22-345_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 25
Cheers, link won't load on my phone so I will look later. Was the coolest bike ever as a kid because everyone else had lead weights from Halfords or local small bike shops!

I've got one in green from about 93 or 94, I love the old dog. They are great all-arounders, easy bikes to love. Lower level spec on the parts, but not department store low, just low for bike shops. Value, on the other hand, is not so great. The bikes demanding high prices are the higher end models, most want the Stumpjumper or Rockhopper, so Hardrocks can be had at a bargain price.

Cheers, still a great bike and sought after brand. Considering I had something like a Townsend that was stolen, then got this it was amazing! You can really feel the difference.
Il pick one up if I ever see one local.
I think the difference between 93 and 94 is the graphics!

@MattiThundrrr is spot on. I have a '94 and love the old dog too. From memory, in 18" size, the frame is 2.2kg and the fork is 1kg. That's the same overall f&f weight as my '98 RockHopper (2kg + 1.2kg [longer, suspension corrected fork]) and the same as some of the late eighties Stumpies. It's not going to win any weight weenie contests but it's in good company.

Personally, I feel that the components let the Hardrocks down: heavy chainset, etc. Mine has had every component upgraded; not to anything fancy, but with stuff I had in my parts box—STX chain set and front mech, scruffy but functional LX rear mech, lighter alloy handlebar, etc.—and it's a good ride. Not especially racy; just smooth and comfy. I use it more than I ever thought I would.

Very underestimated bikes IMO. Mine is a '95 in burgundy and like CassidyAce over the years I've had it I've replaced all the heavy stuff with a complete LX groupset and it rides really well.
One of the most significant changes was when I replaced the steel bars and stem with alloy versions. The handling was improved dramatically.

Since we're all sharing, I went with alloy bars n stem, STX rear mech, whatever crank I could afford twenty+ years ago, and a Stumpjumper takeoff shock, a Spesh version of the Mag21. I don't know what it weighs, but I love it so much IMG_20190618_122104199_HDR.jpg
Old picture, previously posted, but it's all I have

I posted earlier but didn't have time to add a pic so I've managed to dig one out now.
I reckon it's from about 11 years ago and there are a few more marks on it now!
It's also got the black M563 chainset on it. Just looking at the pic now reminds me how much I like riding it and it won't be long before I'm on it again. Come to think of it I've got an LX headset and a control tech stem to go on it too.

Hard Rock GSX.jpg

Back