Sorted :Shimano Chain suitable for 105 groupset

Corblimeyguv

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Good evening all,
I'm in need of the above due to only having MTB chains and they're too wide to use with a 105 chainset.

Something gently run-in would be ideal ;)

Thanks.

Re: WTD: Shimano Chain suitable for 105 groupset

Eh?
Chains are the same for road and MTB, depending of course on the number of speeds.

Re:

I've got a 105 chainset and the chain I have rubs the inside of the outer chainring, the only cause I can deduce is that the chain is too wide. I may be wrong but I can't test my logic as I don't have a chain that I can compare it against.
The only other cause could be the chain is very worn and is pulling against the chainring due to the slackness in the links, but, as i've said, I don't have anything else to try.
That's why i'm after a lightly used chain that was used with this setup to test my theory. Maybe I need a narrow chain ? Your guess is as good as mine ;)

Re:

Needs to be a 7-speed chain. Maybe an old 5-sp etc could be wider?
Guess this is the 1055 chainset?
Bottom bracket should be 113mm from memory, and Shimano taper (in case it’s the chain line causing the rubbing)
Do you have a photo?

Re:

The chain came off a 7sp mtb, the BB is a new 68/113 unit. I thought it was the fd rubbing the chain until I sussed it wasn't :roll:
Tbh the bb length didnt even enter my head Mat !
Gonna scratch my head for a bit, any other thoughts please feel free to share them.

Many road chainsets with 39/53 will rub the inner edge of the large chainring when on the smallest rear sprocket. This is especially the case with frames with short chainstays. There may be nothing wrong with your setup at all.

It's just the way it is, and cross-chaining like that isn't a good idea anyway.

Use a 9spd chain? Shifts perfectly with 8spd cassettes and 7

hamster":3mjy4fk3 said:
Many road chainsets with 39/53 will rub the inner edge of the large chainring when on the smallest rear sprocket. This is especially the case with frames with short chainstays. There may be nothing wrong with your setup at all.

It's just the way it is, and cross-chaining like that isn't a good idea anyway.

that's exactly correct!

but there is one more reason. The reason hamster explains will be worse if you are using a chain that is wider than the chainring you're using. eg. using a 8 speed chain on a 9 or 10 speed chainring will mean it's a bit looser laterally on the chainset and have the ability to wiggle a bit more. Despite this, its still useable and provided everything at the back matches, will still shift successfully

Re:

It is a 7sp chain, albeit used. Tbh I dont build this sort of set-up often...you can tell I bet :roll:

Never though of crossing on a double chainset in all honesty. Will try something else and give an update later.
Thanks for all hips and tints so far ;)

Attachments

• 20201002_145542.jpg
    20201002_145542.jpg
    575.8 KB · Views: 411
  • 20201002_161230.jpg
    20201002_161230.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 397
  • 20201002_161238.jpg
    20201002_161238.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 397
Back