Some Highlands route advice.

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'm in the preliminary stages of organising a small road tour. The rough itinerary so far is Fort Bill to Inverie to Applecross(via skye) to Muir of Ord and onto the Great Glen way back to Fort Bill. I was hoping there was some route between Kinlochewe say and Muir of Ord avoiding the main road and indeed picking up the Great Glen Way. Any ideas? Pretty much Applecross to the Great Glen way could be played with.

A couple of quick thoughts of potential offroad bits.

Achnashellach to Ardroy or Achnasheen to Ardroy and thence by back roads (scenic, quiet) to Muir. There's a couple of shortish bits of offroad available if you want between Ardroy and Muir.

Or if you arrive at Garve by road you can go the back way on the forestry roads to Strathpeffer or alternatively by the top way through to the heights above Dingwall if you don't mind a long climb.

If you want a longer stretch you can go from Ardroy on road to nearly Marybank, but turn up towards Fairburn and pick up the Orrin Dam route which would take you out at Erchless (Between Beauly and Cannich), then proceed on road towards Drimnadrochit via Cannich and pick up the GGW there. (But you completely miss Muir of Ord.)

Re:

Excellent stuff, cheers guys. I'll get scouring for those routes. Mild off road is not a problem.

highlandsflyer":2fdb314s said:
If you are not a 'completist', or have done the GGW before you are not missing much cutting out the Inverness to Drum section.

Yeah, it's a pretty ordinary ride.

I found a way to make it more interesting though...

But if Rory's cafe is still there, it is an absolutely unique al fresco dining experience.

Note the background chooks - which become foreground chooks the moment you start eating. :)

They may even have a roof by now. The previous one blew off a few months before I stopped for tea.

Re:

The south of the loch is where it is at for roadies. I am not suggesting any of the way is unworthy, but if I had to cut a section out..

Mind you they have been felling more timber, so some of the views might have opened up a little.

Hopefully get my finger out in spring and start using it again.

Re:

Cutting off the top bit is not a problem, in fact a bit more research into the way suggests its longer than I first thought and curtailing it a bit wouldn't be a bad idea. Picking it up a Drumnadrochit would be ideal I'm thinking.

Back