Some help and inspiration....

Re: Re:

mpatts":3coge07h said:
So, here is the plan:

It's book into be stripped and serviced at the end of the month, leaving essentially is leave as it. Should be great.

My only question is.....what bartape?

As in what brand or what colour bartape? Colour wise, it's a grey bike, so the world is your lobster. everything goes with grey, but the tape that's on there just now looks very nice. You can't go wrong with black though, and I always like something with a bit of cushion. Is it bad form to use a nice modern PU tape like the Condor Shockproof or Zipp service course?

mpatts":2mkqq888 said:
So, here is the plan:

It's book into be stripped and serviced at the end of the month, leaving essentially is leave as it. Should be great.

Don't fancy having a go at doing the work yourself then?

allenh":3b5in4bb said:
mpatts":3b5in4bb said:
So, here is the plan:

Don't fancy having a go at doing the work yourself then?

Yes and no - TBH my mechanic is ace, he will really enjoy doing it (its right in the era of when he was racing) and he will make a very good job of it!

mpatts":2yhbhjw9 said:

Not White!

White tape (benotto excepted) is the work of the Dirt Devil. Ok for pro teams, but not for practical riders.
When I rule the world, white bar tape and saddles will be outlawed

Not they aren't, I had to google what that meant and I now want that!
You really don't want a portacatena; you end up losing a rear cog due to the design. It never really took off as a feasible invention for racers to whom it was directed at. They make no sense to the average cyclist then, or now.

Pretty much. At the time I only ever saw them was on show bikes and the only parts that ever appeared in our stock were a couple of right hand gear levers that never sold in a decade.

Pretty much. At the time I only ever saw them was on show bikes and the only parts that ever appeared in our stock were a couple of right hand gear levers that never sold in a decade.
I still have the whole set-up brand new in its package. So many of my bikes have that rear dropout, even well after the fad passed. I guess Campy had a lot of surplus and builders probably got them on the cheap.

The Portacatena dropouts were the standard short (1010/B) dropouts supplied by Campag for a long time - if you wanted plain dropouts you had to specify them on the order and even then the drilled version usually arrived. Like you say, they hung around for long after the idea went out of fashion (not that it was ever in fashion IMHO). I must have had half a dozen frames with those dropouts back in the 1980s.
There was another version intended for use on the longer (1010/A) dropout which was mounted with a bolt through the axle slot like a rear mech hanger - that could also be used with the plain 1010/B dropouts, that model of Portacatena is even rarer than the screw-on type - I've only ever seen pictures in old catalogues.

Last edited:
Back