So called big collectors belittling smaller.

I've almost certainly told people they have little bits wrong*, but that's just so they know and I don't care if they correct it or not, it's their bike and you can build it any way you want. But then I also don't have a big collection, or really collect.

What sort of 'wrong' are you talking about. I don't get out much, I really only go out to the odd FB post in Canadian bikes, GripShift lovers etc.

*Usually a technical problem, passing on knowledge and depends on what they are trying to do.

Obviously we all believe that bike collectors are superior (in that there'll be fewer idiots than average)

Sometimes these guys are just trying to start a conversation when they say "I thought everybody knew that in that year the rear brake cable went the other side of the stem?"

Not always though🤣

Yes, at every shoe n shine I've judged. Not many but a few that spoil the vibe.

Sounds about right :(

I made a comment at the Warwick retro show that probably sums things up for me. It's meant as a benign observation, but could be taken out of context.

"these are all fantastic bikes, but not a single one is exactly the way I would have built it if it were mine"

And that's the truth. The difference is that I wouldn't belittle or criticize anyone for not building it exactly how I would have (or, have).

I hope everyone feels they are able to build, buy and ride whatever makes them happy regardless of cost/brand. Getting out there and getting our heart rate up and clearing out those cobwebs and dark thoughts are what it's all about. If there's a bit of a negative vibe or someone's clearly up their own arse then just add them to your ignore list and carry on blissfully unaware of their negative existence.

I've been fortunate to be able to build a few reasonable bikes in recent years, but to be honest i rarely ride them, the pleasure was in the tinkering. I spend most of my riding time on a bottom of the range Hahanna that i picked up on here with a stuck seatpost, and it's mostly specced with the leftover bits I bought with my very limited teenage pocket money, that had been relegated to a drawer for 20 years. I don't have to worry about knocking it a little, and it lets me mount a child seat on the back so I can get out with both my little dude and his bigger sister which brings me more enjoyment than having the correct serial number or whatever would. I might burn a few more calories too which isnt a bad thing.

Last edited:
Have to say, that Retrobike is refreshingly free of Farbies [*]. Yes we all have differences of opinion on what we each prefer, personally a catalogue build is not for me, but I respect the effort and attention to detail that they require - that bar the saddle, I’ve ended up with building one is all the more confusing for me.

At the end of the day, they’re bikes and they make us happy, enjoy them all in the many varied and weird manifestations they take.

* Farbies - Utterers of sentences starting “Far be it for me to say…”

Define large collector. I've got a fair collection, 20 plus, but I don't care much about anyone who doesn't like what I do, that's their opinion, probably entitled to it. I collect, build, hoard, surface a build every now and again as I'm happy with them. If someone takes offence to my cable choice, routing or choice of parts, so be it. I'm building what I want for me, not anyone else. I'm happy with that.

I was drawn into a neighbour of friends' house once as he was carrying a Gibson 335 outwith a case and I was tickled. He slowly revealed a collection of thirty or so classic guitars, probably worth £100k plus. Very impressive. He didn't play more than one at a time.

Define large collector. I've got a fair collection, 20 plus, but I don't care much about anyone who doesn't like what I do, that's their opinion, probably entitled to it. I collect, build, hoard, surface a build every now and again as I'm happy with them. If someone takes offence to my cable choice, routing or choice of parts, so be it. I'm building what I want for me, not anyone else. I'm happy with that.
I mean when they want to buy from you and run you down.

Back