Slow death of 7 speed cassettes?

Titiritero

Retro Guru
I was looking for a new 7 speed cassette in my usual online shop, and the one I always pick, HG-50 in either 13-34 or 14-32 flavour was not even listed. I quickly checked other few shops where I have bought in the past and nothing. Then I did a more comprehensive search, and it seems to confirm the HG-50 is gone as a 7 speed option.

Nowadays it seems the only options in 7 speed are the Shimano HG41 (only in 12-28, too limited for my taste) or the Sram 730 (12-32 but with very weird sprocket logic, the smallest ones have 2 teeth jumps, the last ones 5 or 6 teeth, with no progression in the middle).

Has anyone had the same issue?

Re:

Sjs or spa? They might be becoming less popular but, like 26” wheels, there are still millions of bikes out there with them. Hope they don’t stop doing them but intend to use the SRAM ones now.

Re:

That's why so many ardent retro-bikers are stashing a few of them in a drawer or box of 'spares' ...

;)

Actually, you may just find the SRAM has a more logical spacing. Plug the ratios in Sheldon's gear calculator
and select 'Meters Development'. My experience is that SRAM feels more linear to the legs so to speak.

Sunrace makes a few varieties, but their best feature that you can take them apart with a little screw from behind-just like the big S used to make them backinmydays. And with this option you can always make your own special ratio cassette, for cheap, combining sprockets from different cassettes. They're among the lightest ones sensible money can buy anyway, so it's big plus also (circa 240 gr. for a 12-28t one).

Back