Slippery slope!....... Part 2

Re:

Well, I managed a ride after work today. The bike was flawless, but..... I’m not sure my backs up to it anymore. Once the ache has subsided I’ll give it another go, maybe I just need to get used to it? Oh and the roads round my way are c**p! Small potholes on an MTB seem to be massive wheel/tyre destroying obstacles on a road bike. I hit one and quickly made the decision that all others must be avoided. No damage done but it didn’t feel nice.

I know that one. A few years ago I decided to do more road work. Early morning Sunday ride, fast through a junction, small pothole....BANG! ... bikes slews left and right with rear wheel jammed against the chain stay. Completely pretzeled rear wheel - supposedly 'bulletproof' factory wheel - and a long walk home. Just one of the many reasons I went back to riding off road almost exclusively.

That’s for sure, I’ve had a few rides now. My back protests every time and the roads aren’t getting any better. The roads in and out of my village are like stages of the RAC rally. I’m fast coming to the conclusion that a road bike is unsuitable for me and the roads. I’m back choosing the cinder cone as my go to ride. Looks like the Airborne will be up for sale in the near future. Unless the council decide to resurface the roads, I’ll not be holding my breath though.

Well, today I thought I’d test the waters. Put the Airborne on gumtree and it sold in less than 2hrs! Sold another bike (GT LTS) that I had sitting around, again in record time. Was feeling flush and thought I’d treat myself.
soooooo I bought myself a 96 Kilauea! Now I’m eagerly awaiting its arrival. Looks like I avoided the slippery slope! 2 out 1 in even made the wife happy, oh and she’s got dibs on my cinder cone so her lava dome will be up for sale soon. That will be 3 out 1 in, happy wife, and a good excuse to buy another bike whenever I want? Did I say I’d avoided the slippery slope? Mmmmm I think I’m well and truly on it! 😂.

You've only momentarily avoided the slippery slope, it'll get you soon, when you least expect it, and before you can say "slippery what?" There'll be another bike, or two, heading your way... 😄

As fast as I get rid of bikes another one fills its place!

Jimo, I only avoided the road bike slippery slope. I’m well and truly on the MTB one, no getting off that anytime soon 😂.
Peter, white tyres???

Oh you mean the Airborne? Yeah I was never a fan of those. New owner didn’t seem to mind them. It was that gold seat clamp that really annoyed me. Never did get round to changing it.

Well after the sale of the Airborne and GT I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Soooo this just arrived today, full build thread will be posted in the main readers bikes section in due course.

Attachments

• B5AB245F-F37C-48CD-BFFA-E03FA148EFE3.jpeg
    B5AB245F-F37C-48CD-BFFA-E03FA148EFE3.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 10
Back