Size advice?

th0m

Dirt Disciple
I am just in the process of getting my first "traditional" geometry frame and would really appreciate some advice regarding size. After only having modern carbon bikes for many years, I am now going to get the bike of my dreams; a Colnago Master. Haven't quite decided yet whether to go semi-retro (like a mid 90's Master Olympic with 8 or 9-speed Record) or neo-retro (Master X-Light with silver Potenza).

Anyway, I wonder if you could give me some guidance about frame size. Since the geometry will be quite different compared to other bikes I've had, I feel a bit lost. I am 184 cm tall (about 6' 1") with 88 cm inseam (about 35"). Looking at the X-Light geometry table, which size would you recommend?

colnago-master-x-light-traditional-geometry_ff15de09-abda-4d02-8079-0780bb2b6804_grande.png

Re:

Despite frames being described by seat tube size, top tube length should be the most important measurement.
So if you're happy with how your sloping bike(s) ride, get the virtual top tube size and replicate this.

Some will argue that length can be made to fit with a change of stem and by sliding the saddle fore and aft, and to a point this is true. But the handling will be totally wrong esp on sweeping descents. It might not matter if you live on the fens, but go to the dales/peaks/Alps and you will feel compromised.

I am also 1.84 and measured my inseam at 89 cms. I prefer 62-63 cm's (C-T-T) for that type of machine, FWIW.

62 cms, with the saddle top at about 80 cms:

1k0.jpg

non-fixie":1sq9j9kr said:
I am also 1.84 and measured my inseam at 89 cms. I prefer 62-63 cm's (C-T-T) for that type of machine, FWIW.

62 cms, with the saddle top at about 80 cms:
Perfect, thanks!

This confirms my own calculations, so very helpful. The Master Olympic I've now got my eyes on and probably will buy has 59 cm c-c seat tube and 58 cm c-c top tube, which should be more or less ideal for me I think.

Great looking bike btw.

Back