Sinnerman's, no, Ibbz's, no my Look Mi90 Quadrex

WimVDD

Senior Retro Guru
Thanks so much to @ibbz for giving me this fantastic Look Mi90 frameset after aborting the "Tout Français" attempt.

The Look Mi90 “Quadrex” was the French roadie firm attempt to get in the (new) mountainbike market in the late eighties, early nineties. As they didn't have the right people inhouse to do so, they asked Peter Grisley to design and build a series of mountainbikes.

This Mi90 Quadrex was (together with the bonded alu-carbon Mi 90) top of the line back in 1991. The carbon one was built with XT and Ritchey parts, where the steel Quadrex was equipped with Campagnolo parts.

My interest in this frame comes from the fact that I started mountainbiking back in 1991 and Look bikes were high on my wanted list. Actually too high as I couldn't afford bikes of that price category (my first bike was a Scott Windriver).

For the build: I want to ride this bike (on dry summer days only ofcourse) so no ambitions to sell a kidney for a Campy groupset. I only want it to be as era correct as possible ànd use the parts I still have in the spares box.

I checked my spares when waiting for the frame to arrive and it seems this could be a fast build as I have most of the parts needed.

So. For the build I have some things that definitely will come on the bike. As said: maybe not catalog specific but era correct as much as possible.

Syncros stem
3TTT bars
Kalloy aluminium seatpost

IMG_20210407_132220.jpg

Saddle wise, I bumped into the first doubt: an Avocet Mountain R30 gelflex or a San Marco (with Ti rails). I believe the Avocet is from the same year but I'm actually not a fan of saddles that wide. And as I really want to ride this bike, I might choose the San Marco.

IMG_20210407_134444.jpg

IMG_20210407_134525.jpg

Next doubt. Will I go for a complete XT build or will I tend towards the Mi90 Carbon finishing kit: XT wit Ritchey brake levers,canti's and Logic crankset?

IMG_20210407_132600.jpg

Last question: if I choose the Ritchey parts, will I combine these with early Gripshifts or with traditional XT thumbies?

IMG_20210407_134209.jpg

Back