Simoncini Super Record

Hej Fifthgrace. Been offline and assisting submerged family/friends just previously..... Kayaks might be more use than bicycles here right now.

Your machine is very sweet and excellent whatever its history. I think the red colouring difference is explained by camera settings as you indicate. Mine is/was just a slightly later version with 9 speed gearing. Also has lower end Campy components.

I reckon a lot of the viewers don't get the subtleties of the Max rotated ellipse tubing. You need to see it to appreciate it in reality. I was amazed by it on first sight. The closer you look, the more amazing it is, I say. Sculpture in steel is not overstating it.

A good friend of mine who speaks Italian has phoned the Simoncini factory and had many happy words with the head honcho there now. They very helpful if you can speak the language. Only wish I could! Jag talar liten svensk, ein wenig deutsch, but just English else... Us Cheshire boys do get around though: )

Great thread this; )

other brands we built for are Titan in Switzerland, Bohrmann (sp?) in germany, and Simons (sp?) in belgium.

Hi Emanuel.
I checked your site. Very nice to have contact on the thread with a Simoncini guy with English!!

I just bought a Corsa Strada frame which looks to be good & will fit me. Columbus Altec is new to me but it looks very interesting.
Would like to hear your comments on it: ) Was it built in Italy, for example?? Year? (2003ish?)

It's my first Alloy/Carbon frame so it's all fascinating right now.
[/url]

Got some minor paint issues (Cable rub on the head and bubbling paint on the BB) but good else I reckon.
Need some Carve forks.... Italian threaded BB. etc. etc....

If any interest I got lots more pics: )

I'll be in touch....
John.

11067129306_bf7caf72ac_b.jpg

that didlook familiar...I have one here as well.
ALL our bikes were and are built here in our little factory, in gambassi terme, near florence.

We braze steel, but have built alloy and carbon (with lugs), asides from the joining, all the other steps are the same(mitering,filing,etc)

some bargains to be had here http://www.flickr.com/photos/94186938@N ... 982388804/

2003 is about right, Alloy bikes certainly have their place,custom, nearly as light as carbon, not too expensive. a carbon rear end makes it much more enjoyable over bad roads or longer distances.I'll have a look for the fork,etc.

Well, I got no previous experience with alloy or carbon, so I learn as I go: )

If mine turns out OK to ride I will get it refinished, minus the OTT decals which I'm no fan of.
My Max SR had all the pantographed areas and did not need the decals in my opinion. I particularly liked the head 'badge' on the SR, and comparing that with this Corsas cheapo looking S... No comparison.

Re the Simoncini factory. It might be good to get the details online. Like how many frames per month/year? How many employees? Just to get the scale of it! Not much real info online anywhere.

Serial numbers are also a bit of a foggy area. For example my Corsa has only 58C on the BB. Which I assume to be frame size. C/C? No other stampings though. My SR had a 53 (frame size) along with another number, 028. Do they have a continuing, logical system??

I'm sure many people would be interested in the details.

John.

Hi john, we scaled down production from back when we were producing a hundred frames a month 15-20 years ago.
At max production, we had 7/8 people working here.
Now we're in two, the owner and I. We do about 20-40 frames a year now, some is contract work, for italian and european companies.
I can't go into details obviously.

The number is the frame size.

Some frames had a date system, it was to do with guarantees.
There's no progressive numbering, as we built for so many different brands.

Agree with the Decals, the older ones were better, Pantographing, I've not seen that on alloy frames, I'm assuming it can be done, just never seen it.
Stainless badges brazed on and polished are the best solution I feel, also the most expensive, time consuming and least flexible.

We're doing some great stuff, The owner is a good bloke and very open minded about trying new stuff. He still rides 3-4 times a week.He commutes by bike as well.
I've ridden road, cx, mtb, dh, commuted and also like vintage bikes, so between us we've got a lot of ideas, knowledge and experience.
I could do with a few more sales, but it's picking up, and the frames we're doing now are some of the best we've ever done, I feel.
The spirit Road bike here, for example, is simply gorgeous
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94186938@N ... 566490095/

that's not chrome, that's all stainless braze ons. it looks great and is practical, as those areas are where paint usually chips.

This 29er is a bit too modern for this forum, but we're right up there with a tapered headtube, chainstay mounted brake and great fillet brazing.takes a 31.6 seatpost, for the modern hydro posts.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94186938@N ... 981137916/

These Cx bikes were for a team, up in milan, http://www.flickr.com/photos/94186938@N ... 121907365/

again, 44mm headtubes, zona tubing, sliding dropouts.
finally something everyone will like, a twin plate crown road fork, in stainless

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94186938@N ... 080032364/

We're doing some very interesting Spirit road bikes next, then a few 27.5, one will be fully rigid and lugged.
A randonneur is in the works as well,
The days of 200-400 frames being ordered from germany, belgium, england, italy and other places have gone, to taiwan or china.
Now we're concentrating on making a few bikes, to the highest standard. I feel if you're going to do steel, you have to make it very special.

And having built since 1949 (the brazer has 43 years experience!) we can hold our own against any of the big custom names, I sincerely feel.

Attachments

• 12009689716_e45e2673d8_b.jpg
    12009689716_e45e2673d8_b.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 488
  • 12152279425_733447976d_c.jpg
    12152279425_733447976d_c.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 488
  • 12253389873_552d8572f2_b.jpg
    12253389873_552d8572f2_b.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 488
  • 11015626925_158aa4a5e1_b.jpg
    11015626925_158aa4a5e1_b.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 488
I love the look of the Spirit: ) No nonsense, just class. That's what I like.
And I'm sure many other Brits will concur. We are not all looking for machines with huge decals visible from 100 yards: ) Leave that to the likes of Carrera etc. I think the earlier Simoncinis with the panto-ed 'decals' were so very understated, practical & tasteful. Vinyl or even waterslides (varnished or not) just do not 'do it' for me.

Thanks for your info regarding the company. Enthusiasts are interested in this detailed stuff. I would say it is a positive advantage to be a small but quality builder these days. Quality will always sell, so long as the potential buyers know about it all! The internet makes it all available, if you take the 'trouble' to look. (& you need to provide the info somewhere)

The stainless steel, as opposed to chrome, is such a sensible approach I say: ) Factory built machines just cannot do this, and that's one reason why a small producer can beat the big boys at their own game: ) Niche marketing is the key, you just need to know what your market is..... I'm sure you do, and I'm also certain you will survive & prosper in the end.

You say you like vintage machines?
Check this 1955 Dunning, in original paint and in daily use by me; )
DSCN0045.jpg

Also available to view on ClassicLightweights here:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... er-rb.html

Also on CL is my 1947 Thanet: )
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... hn-rb.html

Got more yet.... On demand: )

John.

Thanks, John, for your kind words.

I've spent many an afternoon poring over the classic lightweights website, it's good to know such beautiful bicycles are being used!
The Dunning in the CL site has something I used in my http://www.flickr.com/photos/94186938@N ... 7981793533 to use a 5sp SA hub.

I really like the build above, I was undecided between sage and british racing green for a touring rohloff bike, so I hope you'll take my inspiration as flattery, not copying...

Regarding Decals, it's true, the older simoncini font was better, and I like pantographed frame, but it does become a nuisance as we send them out to be done, and with custom builds it's not really practical to send out one or two headtubes, not to mention there's now at least 7 different headtubes if you count 1"integrated/external, 1 1/8" integ.columbus integrated,external, 44mm and tapered.
Besides, the cyclist would gain up to 15kg in body weight from batch to batch..

This bring me back to another thought, a lot of the modern 'innovations' are just noise.
Or have a limited practical reason on the bikes we do, like through axles on a bike without rear suspension, tapered steeres on steel forks, (though herse did that on tandems, and it makes sense there), and a lot of other carbon induced standards.

The biggest challenge, I feel, is building bicycles that are as long lasting, elegant and practical as yesterday's, while not living in or copying, the past,(like so many nahbs builders do).

I'll leave the flash to the marketing driven companies, I'll leave the baroque details to those that have something to prove, and concentrate on quality frames at honest prices.
We've been building frames since 1949, hopefully we'll get to 2049 still doing what we do best,quality handmade steel frames for cyclists who know the best bike for you is one that's been made just for you.
I'll dig more stuff out of the archives, as you can imagine, I've got lots and lots of old frames and components, some of the nos frames are from the old factory, so pre 1970s.
I also have the founder's 1948 road frame, I'll try to do a regular post, I'm sure readers here would be interested.

emanuel.

ps. sjs has clamp on cable guides, the zip tie on such a lovely build is..mamma mia!
take care

:)

Back