Silly question

redfour

Dirt Disciple
I have a 97 KONA Explosif. It has a clamp on stem. I have a 1 1/8 quill stem lying around could I use that? Thanks in advance?

If I understand this question right, definitely not, it would be all kinds of loose! By "clamp on" I think you mean "ahead" with a bolt or two on the side or the back doing the clamping. The two stem types are absolutely not interchangeable.

Re:

It's never a problem asking a 'beginner's' question. No you can't simply exchange a quill stem for an 'ahead' bolt on stem. But you can swap the other way - put an ahead stem on a quill-stem fork, using an adapter - which of course adds weight.

Quill stem: steerer tube on fork is threaded, and only goes up to the top nut on the headset. The quill then goes inside the steerer and clamps with the wedge. The nuts in the headset 'set' the bearings in the headset.

Aheadset or 'threadless': steerer tube is not threaded; it is plain tubing which protrudes 30-50mm above the headset, with the stem clamping around the outside of the tube, and the top cap tension 'sets' the bearings in the headset.

You can't use a quill stem on a threadless headset set-up.

But conversely, you CAN use a threadless stem on a threaded steerer, by using an adapter like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deda-Road-Bi ... SwilpfGVC4

Hope this is clear and helpful.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

To 2manyoranges thank you. Your answer is what makes this site such a brilliant resource. It was clear and considered. You are a star. Thank you.

Re:

YST used to do a headset that you could use with either type of stem, not seen one for ages though....

A Diatech aheadset might work as it has an Allen locking bolt on the top part, I've not tried it with a Quill Stem though, and it'd only be the one bolt between joy and disaster...

Back