Show us your marins!

This is my 93 Indian Fire Trail. I am currently at the "why did this seem like such a good idea" point. Stripping and polishing this frame has been much more difficult than I initially thought it would be. At one point, when all was going smoothly, the plan was to do the same with a 94 Nail Trail, not so sure now. I am in a quandary regards the forks. Do I go for new elastomers or one of the spring conversion kits? Any advice would be appreciated.
@Hezza I’m going through the same pain with my 92 Indian fire trail. I’m finding peel tec spray is quite good at removing the clear coat. But still a drawn out process.

Attachments

• IMG_3700.jpeg
    IMG_3700.jpeg
    654.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3696.jpeg
    IMG_3696.jpeg
    593.9 KB · Views: 27
That is the next month or so of your spare time sorted then. If you don't mind me asking, what polish are you planning to use?
I’m no expert but I’m using fine wet and dry stages to get rid of any pitting etc. I won’t be sanding the entire frame, just areas that need it. Then probably autosol metal polish or poor boys as it’s widely used on split rim alloy wheels for cars. They do a sealant too to finish things off. I’m not after perfection when doing the frame but the clear coat was pretty hazy so I wanted to restore the shine somehow.

Attachments

• IMG_3953.jpeg
    IMG_3953.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3954.jpeg
    IMG_3954.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 1
I’m no expert but I’m using fine wet and dry stages to get rid of any pitting etc. I won’t be sanding the entire frame, just areas that need it. Then probably autosol metal polish or poor boys as it’s widely used on split rim alloy wheels for cars. They do a sealant too to finish things off. I’m not after perfection when doing the frame but the clear coat was pretty hazy so I wanted to restore the shine somehow.
I saw a thread on here where white diamond polish was recommended over autosol and I can say that I would agree with them. Not used poor boys so I could not compare them. I reckon you will be pleasently surprised with how well the frame polishes up. I really like the look of the 92 IFT, I hope you will be posting pics?

I saw a thread on here where white diamond polish was recommended over autosol and I can say that I would agree with them. Not used poor boys so I could not compare them. I reckon you will be pleasently surprised with how well the frame polishes up. I really like the look of the 92 IFT, I hope you will be posting pics?

great work on the IFT @Hezza - i have a plain alu single speed due for some polishing - with apologies for turning this from a Marin thread to a polishing thread - what was the higest grit you used before starting to polish, and did you use a polisher / drill attachment / elbow grease...?

great work on the IFT @Hezza - i have a plain alu single speed due for some polishing - with apologies for turning this from a Marin thread to a polishing thread - what was the higest grit you used before starting to polish, and did you use a polisher / drill attachment / elbow grease...?
A mixture, I went down to P3000 then used 2 different grades of polishing compound with a buffing wheel on a drill. Then the elbow grease with the White Diamond polish. The plan is to do another couple of round of polishing to get it finished. Hope that helps.

Once this is finished I will be starting on a 97 Mount Vision, I have nearly all the parts together for this and the plan is to do the same with this frame.

@Hezza I’m going through the same pain with my 92 Indian fire trail. I’m finding peel tec spray is quite good at removing the clear coat. But still a drawn out process.
How many times do you have to do the spray to get a good result? Do you key it with wire wool first?

Back