Shimano XT BR-M750 V-Brake Query

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Picture1.png

These silly 2mm allen key spring tension adjusters (part reference Y-8BW11000)

One of mine is stripped, so I can't adjust it.

Un-obtanium by the looks of things?

If I manage to get it out, could it be replaced by a 'traditional' screw with a cross head?

Cheers

Joe

Do you mean the grub screw is stripped or the hole it threads into?

If the former you could easily get a replacement grub screw.

If the latter then you could tap to a larger size, or insert a bolt the other way around using it's head to apply tension and balance tension on the other side

It's the former - the threads will be fine, it's just the allen-key head which has stripped so the allen key is spinning.

I'll get it out one way or another, but will need a replacement grub screw.

They do have a "pointy end" rather than just being a straight cut end, so i do think it needs to be a grub screw fit for purpose if you know what i mean.

You can adjust and center the brakes bending the tension bar a bit and try to center with the screw of the other side you finish the job.

But the best idea if you whant to keep the bicycle in good order, is to replace that screw. Thre are some in aluminium with several colors but they are even more weak than steel, so you install adjust and don´t touch.

Last edited:
Managed to get the stripped screw out last night. Needed drilling out but was straightforward enough.

Tried a screw from a similar age LX V-brake, alas not the correct size (too narrow).

So for now the bike has an XT rear brake and the LX front brake - fine by me, but i'll need a replacement screw if i intend to use the other XT again!

Cheers

You'll have a fasteners place on your local industrial estate, take it down. You might have to buy a bag of 50 for £1 but they will probably have something.

Back