Shimano PD-6207 cleats query

fran merida

Retro Newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm relatively new to the cycling world and would like to get some insight from the retrobike community about shimano cleats from the 80s.

I recently inherited a Kuwahara indihawk lightweight from my grandfather which has sat in a spare room of my grandparent's house for the last 30 years. I'm on a bit of a mission to reform it to its former glory and would love some help from those who have been involved in the sport and have a passion for retro bikes. The bike has a Shimano 600ex groupset (6207) and I'm currently looking for suitable cleats to fit the PD-6207 pedals.

From the research I've conducted so far, my understanding is that the original cleats which were to match these specific pedals were SM-SH30 cleats. However, given their scarcity, people often utilise the SM-PD64 cleats which were designed for the PD-6400 pedals (the proceeding system which replaced the 6207). I've recently discovered that Shimano made a SM-SH31 cleat, which looks fairly similar to the SM-SH30 although it being a one-piece (rather than 2) and consisting of 2 fasteners for each cleat (rather than 3). Are these two cleats identical in measurements? or at least similar? It is quite difficult to identify whether they are or not on images I've seen.

Am I on the right track with all this?

In your opinion, which cleat would be the best suited for the pedal? Or does it not really matter, between the three options?

@latman I'd love to get your views on this!

Thanks for your help!

Back