Shimano Parallel v brakes mid 90s

Scotchgitt

Dirt Disciple
I think these are great bits of simple engineering, i have 2 sets of them and wonder what bikes were they standard components from new.

Attachments

• 6A49B02C-28D3-4535-B0CB-7EEF3E91FEF1.jpeg
    6A49B02C-28D3-4535-B0CB-7EEF3E91FEF1.jpeg
    42 KB · Views: 280
Re:

XTR was the top OEM Shimano groupset (brakes, levers, shifters, chainset etc) of the time, and was too expensive to fit to many retail bikes, so was limited to small runs of the very top models in each manufacturers’ range. Basically they were ‘money no object’ show bikes, with very few assembled and sold. The main appearance of the groupset was in racing, as a showcase for Shimano engineering - like Mercedes and Audi participating in F1 and sports car racing. Individual parts and occasionally the whole groupset was bought by small boutique fabricators for bespoke builds or to individual people doing top range personal builds. The next groupset down, XT, was much much more common, and carried much of the same quality peformance, but without the Rolls Royce feel and appearance of XTR.

Re:

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I like that they were more of an upgrade so i can comfortably fit them to my favourite 90s retro bikes. Now to pick which bikes they will go on??? P7 or Grisley or Rockhopper choices choices

I'll stick my neck out and say that the parallel push mechanism was unnecessary and over-complicated. It rapidly wore and loosened and caused the brakes to screech.

hamster":2bx3r9nj said:
I'll stick my neck out and say that the parallel push mechanism was unnecessary and over-complicated. It rapidly wore and loosened and caused the brakes to screech.

'rattle rattle screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee rattle rattle rattle screeeeee rattle'

Re:

In principle great design, I think it took a few iterations to make them stop flapping about.
These are M950 so first models of them.

Came out in 1996 and used 1997&8 too, modified in 1999 for the M951 but that's modern era by then ;-)

So fit them on any half decent bike and enjoy.
Easy enough to service, have a great bearing setup for the frame mounting and parallel part where you clamp the pad to, can also be see ice and if worn a few shims can take out the wobble a bit.

Kona only specified them on their Ti bikes,
Rocky Mountain on their Vertex/Altitide/Element top bikes.

With Orange if you specified it, then that's what you got.

Top stuff for the show offs or sponsored riders.

Remember you need the levers to go with them.. Or some nice compatible lever, Can recommend the XT range from any of the era, from 96 onwards

Yes I would go for the P7 too - not only because that would be more accurate re what you would see on the trails in the UK but also because I am completely biased (towards Oranges)

Back