Shimano m750 freehub service

unkleGsif

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Probably simple, but having never needed to go so deep into the internals before, am just looking for a pointer or 2...

Went to jump on the bike yesterday am to get to work, and the freehub is solid. Hub is fine, just the freehub isn't, er, free. Still, no great shakes as I have my freinds San Andreas to use as a back up... not the ideal commuter, but still ;)

I know there's a 10mm Allen bolt in there somewhere to remove it from the hub, but presumably the axle needs to come out first?

A few quick pointers would be ace. This'll be a nice little distraction from drink, cake and chocolate over the holidays!

Undo the cones from the left hand side, withdraw the axle from the right. Then a big 10mm allen fits down from the right and undoes the freehub body.

I suspect that you use spray lube like GT85. It works its way into the freehub body and washes out the grease eventually, causing it to rust solid. Switch to a liquid drip lube and the body seems to last almost forever.

Plus 1 for the above.

additional notes, there will be 9, 1/4 " bearings each side

You can strip the internals of a freehub body, its a bit fiddly but doable, but when they seizing or sticking, the damage is already done, so it may run rough when flushed out.

Re:

Thanks, will strip it over the hols
Only ever used lube on the chain and mech, and the hub itself was unused until only a hundred miles or so ago, so I think it's more a case of where it's been stored recently (basement)

G

I've neverhad a problem with damp, even living in the tropics. It sounds like you have been really unlucky.

Re:

It would appear that the wife's bike, also parked up next to mine, but for longer since she was knocked off and broke her arm, has also suffered the same issue... namely solid, gunked up freehub!

Back