shimano dx HB-m650 hub - bearing size & exploded view

drexal77

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

My Alpine stars Al-mega 1990 re-build has finally started, buying all the period correct DX parts i can, bit by bit, just got a shimano dx HB-m650 front hub. But will need to service it before it goes on the bike. Does anyone know the size of bearings it takes and where i could buy them? (as its feels a little notch-y) praying new bearings and grease will fix it. I found an exploded view / parts diagram online of the rear FB hub but i would also love an exploded view of the front so i know i'm not missing any parts or seals etc, if anyone would be happy to share it with me.

Also if anyone is selling a shimano dx FH-m650 32 hole / 135. In good condition but not crazy money, please let me know

Thanks to anyone who replies

Any bike shop will have the bearings loose. 3/16". 20 i think.?.

Shimano have a technical section for old parts.....

Yes, standard Shimano loose ball bearing size I think, which from memory is 3/16", 10 each side. Tootyred said the same which makes me think my memory might not be too bad ;)

Hi all,

My Alpine stars Al-mega 1990 re-build has finally started, buying all the period correct DX parts i can, bit by bit, just got a shimano dx HB-m650 front hub. But will need to service it before it goes on the bike. Does anyone know the size of bearings it takes and where i could buy them? (as its feels a little notch-y) praying new bearings and grease will fix it. I found an exploded view / parts diagram online of the rear FB hub but i would also love an exploded view of the front so i know i'm not missing any parts or seals etc, if anyone would be happy to share it with me.

Also if anyone is selling a shimano dx FH-m650 32 hole / 135. In good condition but not crazy money, please let me know

Thanks to anyone who replies

Here :)

dx front hub diagram.png

Buy your bearings from a proper bearing factor, rather than the steel balls from a bike shop. They are made to a higher standard and the wheels run smoother with bearings easier to adjust.

Buy your bearings from a proper bearing factor, rather than the steel balls from a bike shop. They are made to a higher standard and the wheels run smoother with bearings easier to adjust.
Ahhh thanks Hamster, i'll research where to try and buy as close the originals as i can or best quality BB's i can, thanks for the advice 👍🏼

Latest posts

Back