shimano alfine hub advice

magicmistertea

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Im thinking of getting an internally geared hub.... don't want to spend the money on a rohloff so would be looking at a shimano alfine. I like the simplistic idea of not having any external mechs to go wrong or clog up with crap.

I have a few questions...
Are they any good ?
Do I just need the hub and shifter ? (im assuming I can use existing cranks with a single chainring ?)
Will the 8 speed one be okay or will I regret not buying the 11 speed ?
any other tips or reviews welcome :)

Yes, they are good. I have 2 on bikes at the moment. But they are heavy, and they do concentrate the weight at the back of the bike. I don't find it an issue while riding, but when handling the bike it can sometimes be a pain. They are also less efficient than a nice clean derailleur set-up and especially single speed set-ups. I can notice this, especially in really low gear crawling as I do quite often on the fatbike. But generally it is not an issue, and if you ride in the kind of conditions where your nice clean derailleur set-up quickly becomes a mud and dirt clogged draggy mess, then all of a sudden the hub gear proves it's worth. I guess it depends on the type of riding you like to do. I wouldn't want one on a cross country race bike, but I'm happy with them on the fatbike and the tracks and trails bike.

You will probably need the fitting kit as well as the hub and shifter, but it depends what the package is you buy. Sometimes you get the fitting kit thrown in. I would recomend SJS for the hub as you can usually get them for £150 and the service is good. Wiggle are often better for shifters and fitting kits though!

I would stick with the 8. The 11 is apparently not so reliable. It does offer 3 extra gears at the faster end, but if you pick your sprockets carefully missing them shouldn't be too much of an issue. Unless you love pedaling down step slopes in top gear with a 3x set-up. As I said, I wouldn't want one on a race bike, but if you are content to cruise down hills that have you doing 20+ anyway you won't mind.

You will be able to use a normal crankest, but probably not with a standard alfine sprocket. Alfine has a strangle chainline (55mm from memory) but if you use sram or sturmey sprockets dished out then you can usually sort out a decent chainline.

For info on the chainline issue, and gear ratio choice Sheldons site is magic.

Re:

We have 2 Alfine 11 equipped bikes...

I really like using mine. I was brought up on Sturmey 3 speeds and have always treated internal gears with kid-gloves, so mine don't get hammered - I find mine stay in tune for ages, the trigger shift system is quick and efficient and I'm a fan of the near silent operation.

Depending on the type of riding you're up to, you may have to choose your chainring / rear sprocket combination carefully. I'm running 39 -20.

Re:

okay thanks guys... got all the info I needed from one or two posts :)
probably going to get a ready built wheel from evil bay... should save a lot of wheel building hassle !!

Re:

One of my best mates has an 11 speed and likes it a lot although he would agree with the pro's and con's above.

Not sure if he'd get another though.

Latest posts

Back