Shifter fault?

corpuschain

Dirt Disciple
Hi folks,

I have a pair of Deore LX shifters (c.2003-6), 3x9 speed.
They're not attached to a bike. I remember taking them off because they didn't work, though, and they've been sitting around for years.
I have the same problem with both shifters, which seems odd. I took one apart (9spd) and looked inside but can't see what's causing the problem. Using the thumb trigger, I can move to the fifth position, then I can't push it any further. If I use a screwdriver to manually move the piece that pulls the cable, I can shift it all the way to the 9th position, and then using the finger trigger, I can drop it all the way back to the 1st position.

Any ideas why? I can't see anything obvious from visual inspection of the parts.

Attachments

• capture.jpg
    capture.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 4
Are the cables under tension when you try shifting?

Pop a cable in and keep it under tension while cycling through the gears, i have had shifters that miss clicks while not under tension.

I’d say the grease in the mechanisms has degraded and become stickier and the pawls aren’t releasing properly to engage the ratchet

degrease and relube, they’ll work if you can already manually move move all the components

Take the cover off and use GT85 to break down the grease which is stopping the pawl. Wiggle it around using a small screwdriver. It’s a common problem.

Take the cover off and use GT85 to break down the grease which is stopping the pawl. Wiggle it around using a small screwdriver. It’s a common problem.
Ah... okay. I didn't think grease could do that! Will try your suggestion!

One other oddity is that without a cable, the cable holder flops round and stops the insides rotating. It may all clear up once the cable is connected. Sticky grease tends to stop the shifters latching.

Agree with all above.Very common issue,lots of threads on here similar.As they're off the bike already I'd pop the covers off and soak in degreaser for a day of two,good scrub with the missus' toothbrush (if you can wrestle it off the dog),working the mechanisms now and then.
You can use a small screwdriver to gently flick the pawls if needed.I said 'pawls' before anyone comments. 🙄 😂
Has solved every shifter issue I've ever had personally.Brush a bit of fresh grease on,install,squirt of lube in there periodically.

Back