sheldonbrown.com

foz

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Have just seen this: https://road.cc/content/news/concerns-over-future-sheldon-browns-website-284033

I hope there's some way of stopping Sheldon from disappearing, it's one of it not the best references for many things, especially older parts and equipment that are not really relevant to modern bikes.

My initial thought was maybe there's a way of saving the website to a forum thread or section?
It's not definitely disappearing, but it would be a great loss if it did

Have just seen this: https://road.cc/content/news/concerns-over-future-sheldon-browns-website-284033

I hope there's some way of stopping Sheldon from disappearing, it's one of it not the best references for many things, especially older parts and equipment that are not really relevant to modern bikes.

My initial thought was maybe there's a way of saving the website to a forum thread or section?
It's not definitely disappearing, but it would be a great loss if it did
That’ll be a damn shame if it does... a massive loss not easily replaced.

Would it be a good idea to use a web archiving service so that the most important pages are frozen in time and still accessible?

Ive often thought that it would be great if the entire contents of Sheldon Browns website could be put into book or manual format either as an e book or hard copy. His crib sheets are invaluable. I hope this information does not get lost. Wonder why the bike shop is closing.

It would be great to have the information hosted somewhere...

Probably not a very large site if all the Harris Cyclery shop stuff was stripped out.
Some good forwarding would need to be sorted, or the www.sheldonbrown.com URL passed over as well as the info...

If not, then at least it has been well stored over the years by the Internet Archive/Wayback Machine:

Screenshot 2021-06-13 145138.jpg

archive.org is an option indeed.

I just did a quick WHOIS lookup.
To me it looks like Sheldon's widow owns the domain, and Harris Cyclery only maintained/hosted it ever since his passing. In that case, I'm not overly concerned about the site's immediate future. It'll probably remain the same, at least until the current registration expires.

Seems like John will be carrying on for a while. Excellent!

Even better: I noticed that ShelBroCo is also still developing interesting technical solutions:

QuadraTech

Back