Settle to Malham with NWA Aftermath

kaya

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Big thanks to those who made the ride, gutted for MrLee who's newly built Dave Yates BB threads were ripped out with the shear power form his legs.
But not all was lost for him as it was all down hill back to the car park.

The rest of the day was mechanical free and with improving weather it was turning into
a classic day on the moors, I'll let the pics tell the rest of the story.....

The start

Random car park bloke

Broken man

The culprit

Beware the bull

Beware the Lion!!!!

Kona jungle

Nice view

The bigger picture

Uphill pain with Zig & Zag behind

UncleJack in action

Cow boys

Stockdale Lane

The way home

Fly tipping

Here a link to the rest of the pics :- http://s746.photobucket.com/user/thesur ... %2010%2013

See y'all on the next one :cool:

kaya

I must say i enjoyed today's ride in settle. The rain bouncing off slm racing' windscreen on the journey up prompted me to consider what to wear to act as a weather shield. I was sure the clouds were going to lighten up and give way to a mild but somewhat overcast day, ideal really.

THEN, i realised the last time i saw my rain shell was hung up on the coat hooks as i left home and, NOT in my bag as usual. :facepalm:

Panic over once we got parked up as the retrobikers already there had some offerings to help me out, cheers.
The best( i use that term loosely) was a car park attendants thick as you like flouro jacket. :).
I sweat profusely the whole ride but stayed dry on the outside of clothing atleast :eek:
The rocky bit were strangely slippy, wet yes, but relatively free from moss etc....However the rest of the route was enjoyable despite recent rain forming a few splash though sections.
Although knackered now i do have that satisfied feeling of a day in the dales. Cheers to vern and matthew for keeping the cavalry in the general direction of the lunch stop(important bit) and, stu for the lift.

Matthews
kaya
marc two tone
slmracing
uncle jack.
mr lee.

thanks!

Sadly, commiserations to lee for his rather nice yates waving goodbye to it's bottom bracket thread, total bummer and a show-stopper for one of the finest mtb warriors the north west has to offer.
As per usual, a massive climb to warm the legs up and clear the throat....

Are we at the top yet?

Some squishy singletrack beyond the climb

Kaya marches on as i watched to check his performance(desperate for a rest)

Modern machines always welcome at RB rides, just wear a global hyper colour t-shirt or adidas samba to compensate ;)

Murky view back down to settle, well it is october..

End of line for lee and the yates, the downhill return was some sort of consolation.

Loads of this around here, rather nice.

Injured bike, bloody shame!

Marin IFT attempting to escape. Thing i learned today. bontrager jones tyres are not up to the task for this terrain. Too much air in tyres. mud guards would have been a bonus.

The discussion for direction. Ended up in a sweet little bridal that took us down to malham tarn, cool!

Malham cove, truly beautiful, it's in the pic, honest.

The best views are often behind you, on a clear day.

Unclejack, good lad, great rider and nice to see a nice old saracen.

Below, these climbs were more difficult than they appear, crazy slippy.

Thanks for a nice day out and, the pub grub was pretty good too. It was nice to get out of the mist and sit down.
see you all again. :D

Looks like another great ride I've missed, next year I WILL make it to that one!

Shame about Lee's Yates :(

Loving your Marin Marc, are you coming next week?

chrisv40":383nqmu4 said:
are you coming next week?

Hi chris, i don't think i'll be able to attend, bloody shame as i love a jumble. sundays are just no good for me these days :( With the exception of the odd one, generally work related palaver.

Being the only Saturday I have to work in the year it's damn annoying.
One year i'll get to Malham, even if I have to go on my own.

Looks like a great ride but how come you had rain all day? It was lovely in Skipton from about 11 and it's only a few miles away.
Sorry that I couldn't make it, which I found very frustrating. Unless I can rearrange my next Sunday I probably won't be able to make the Welton bike jumble either. So that means I probably won't see most of you until 2014. If I'd realised I'd have got myself organised and hobbled to the bus station and met you all before the ride and then had a morning in Settle.
I hope Lee got further than the big F+Off hill out of town. A pity about his BB as that looks like a nice bike.

Rich Aitch":funttocv said:
Looks like a great ride but how come you had rain all day? It was lovely in Skipton from about 11 and it's only a few miles away.
Sorry that I couldn't make it, which I found very frustrating. Unless I can rearrange my next Sunday I probably won't be able to make the Welton bike jumble either. So that means I probably won't see most of you until 2014. If I'd realised I'd have got myself organised and hobbled to the bus station and met you all before the ride and then had a morning in Settle.
I hope Lee got further than the big F+Off hill out of town. A pity about his BB as that looks like a nice bike.

We didn't get rain all day it brightened up... but it was more cloudy than sunny,
Lee realised the BB had chucked in the towel about half way up the hill, but decided to
carry on to the top so he had a good decent back to the car park as compensation.

Hope to see ya soon Rich

Back