Seriously??

toomanyframes

Retrobike Rider
Claud Butler Fan
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've seen sellers do this when they don't actually have the item in stock so people see the item, watch it, but don't actually buy it.
The seller can then edit the price to a more realistic one when they have stock.

Not really sure what the benefit of this strategy is, other than perhaps to take advantage of free listing offers from eBay.

Either that or it's a tpyo...

You’re probably right. I’ve been watching things on eBay before for about a tenner. And then they randomly go up to £999.99. I can only imagine it’s to get you to watch the item in the hope that when it’s available you buy at the first opportunity.

Let’s say I’ve got a item on here for sale and also on eBay.
Someone from here says they want it so I send payment details. I then edit my eBay price to be very very high. Prevents someone buying it on eBay whilst waiting for the forum member to pay. The reason I don’t end a item is usually because it’s a £1 listing but also for keeping track of what’s available. Once it’s paid I end the listing.

But you wouldn’t believe the amount of people (long standing members ) that say they are having something and then disappear hence I never hold items or pull off eBay until paid so editing the prices works for me. (All unless I know the member and we’ve had deals before)

It would look strange from a eBay watchers point of view for sure as 50% of the time the “buyer” doesn’t pay and the price gets reduced back down to normal.

Too be honest I’ve done just this a couple of weeks ago when I sold a beer pump. I kept the listing open but inflated the price while I waited for the payment to arrive.....

Back