Seatpost diameter - to shim or not to shim?

to shim or not to shim?

• shim!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't shim!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ibob

Retro Guru
Random question - I'm building up a '94 P7, and I've got a choice of a big fat ugly 30mm seatpost, or a lovely but a bit skinny 26.4mm orange cro-mo seatpost with a shim. What would you do...?

although i agree the skinny post is a beauty, i always avoud using shims. just go on a mission for a nice one in the right size

those zoom 27.2's came as standard on some oranges ,with a shim
so if they came out the factory like that should be fine technicaly

fit either and look for a more suitable one ?

I'm with Lewis on this.

the skinny one looks better - especially with the frame but shimmed posts have been problematic for me in the past (though my USE alien carbon was strangely very good) the shim would ahve to be finished to a very high tolerance to avoid damage to frame or body!

I'm using shimmed posts on two of my bikes at the moment, and I've decided they're for the chop. The posts are high end gear and I'm using good quality shims, but if I don't tighten to the point where the seat tube starts to crimp I find the post will slip into the frame! Use the correct size.

lewis1641":1e4yikhw said:
although i agree the skinny post is a beauty, i always avoud using shims. just go on a mission for a nice one in the right size

Agree. I was once a big fan of shim. But than i think it's better for the frame to have the correct post. Also looks better.

Re- Shim

:D Using a seatpost without a shim is safer and better looking.!

However sometimes it comes down to what parts you can get and afford. For example if that rare seat post is the wrong size but will fit with a shim and its hard to get the correct size. Or you want to use an existing seatpost for a new frame, rather than by another down to cost, phew I think iv'e explained myself.

Still would prefer shimless isn't it lighter to?

Passiflora ;)

I bought the wrong size seatpost by mistake a while back. Unfortunately, shims don't work if the seatpost is bigger that the hole. :D

Back