Seat post for 21 year old Canadian

andrewl

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Gents,

I’m currently in the process of rebuilding a nice 21 year old Canadian beauty and I’m after some advice on what would be a suitable period seat post for her. The current post is a period XT item but is a little too short.

The bar and stem are currently Syncros items and look the part but did Syncros make seat posts in 1989??

The frame has a Hite Rite mount so the post will have one attached to it when I can find one.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Andrew

Actually she may be a 20 year old, but the seat stay U brake suggests to most that she is an 89 frame as there was a move to cantis in 1990.

The thing with these rare Canadian beauties is that no one really knows their exact age.

These Canadian things where in all in some way related to the Rocky lot, so a Syncros will be fine.
'89 was the first year iirc
You 'll want the bar through version (first generation) but not sure what year/time they moved from version 1 to version 2 of the 'top plate'
By 1991 they had moved to the second generation of post loosing the bar through design.

If you cannot find another old style post and you want to be cheeky then I think there are some modern posts reusing the original style.

Dr S":2449qdet said:
Would this Canadian Beauty be what I think it is?

A little OT perhaps?

Yes its the older of the two. I'll be posting something to the rides section over the weekend.

FluffyChicken":3f8kxvpp said:
These Canadian things where in all in some way related to the Rocky lot, so a Syncros will be fine.
'89 was the first year iirc
You 'll want the bar through version (first generation) but not sure what year/time they moved from version 1 to version 2 of the 'top plate'
By 1991 they had moved to the second generation of post loosing the bar through design.

If you cannot find another old style post and you want to be cheeky then I think there are some modern posts reusing the original style.

I know the posts you mean now and yes a bar through type would work well. Everything on the bike is pretty much as it was originally built up and so a period post would look the best.

Its also interesting that you say everything is related to Rocky as the saddle is a Rocky Mountain badged thing date stamped 1988. I wonder how many of those there are about??

Back