Saracen Skyline

Darren66

Dirt Disciple
Just finished this Saracen Skyline build, I joined this forum only a few weeks ago to try and find a retro bike or frame to build, due to my size suitable bikes are few and far between, thanks to Bim (Tootyred) who supplied the frame and wheelset.

Attachments

• 20220618_174246.jpg
    20220618_174246.jpg
    753.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220618_174221.jpg
    20220618_174221.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20220618_174200.jpg
    20220618_174200.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220618_174017.jpg
    20220618_174017.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220618_174049.jpg
    20220618_174049.jpg
    829 KB · Views: 60
Thanks for the replies 👍

I've since made a few minor changes, it now has a front brake cable "uphanger" to try to cure the brake judder, a Tortec rear rack, proper seatpost binder bolt and I've tidied up the brake cable routing under the Handlebar tape.
It's been at least 30 years since I last rode a steel bike, can't believe how comfortable it is (even with the new Brooks saddle!) feels like it has suspension :)

I've now had to admit defeat and give up on the cantilever brakes, much as I like the look of them and in keeping with the look of the bike, they certainly don't earn their keep in the stopping department!
All the bikes I've owned for at least the last 10-15 years, including two I still own, have hydraulic disc brakes and I've become used to not worrying whether I'll stop when required, that has not been the case with the cantilever brakes, I'm sure they're as good as they were designed to be but at 6' 5" and 250lbs, it isn't enough.
I've just ordered a set of V brakes (not as easy to find nowadays, unless you're happy with a Chinese V brake shaped thing) and the appropriate drop bar levers, that will be my job for this weekend...

Have you tried putting a 1/2 p coin between the rear of the block and the rim to ensure its toed out on the front wheel.

Also, you might want to put the blocks as low as possible on the brake track....that can stop judder too.

Looking good though!

Have you tried putting a 1/2 p coin between the rear of the block and the rim to ensure its toed out on the front wheel.

Also, you might want to put the blocks as low as possible on the brake track....that can stop judder too.

Looking good though!
Hi Bim,
Unfortunately it's not a toeing issue or position on the rim, didn't get judder or squeal as I'd fitted a uphanger at the fork crown, just the case that I'm asking a lot from the brakes with my size and weight, it's not that they don't work, just not as well as I'd like.
I've tried different pads, including Koolstop and found that cheap Clarks pads from Halfords are better :oops: I dabbled with mini-v brakes, but the pads need to be almost touching the rim to get any feel at the lever, so standard v brakes it is.
So much for this cheap retro build, buying the Frame and Wheels from you was the cheapest part :rolleyes:
The main thing is, I've really enjoyed building it and it's lovely to ride, I've not ridden my other bikes for a fortnight.

Very good looking bicycle! Shimano make a mini v brake, the br-r353, might be a better look and a better fit with those brake levers

Latest posts

Back