Santa Cruz Tazmon 1995/96

Another Tazmon owner here. I’ve owned it from new (1996) bought in California and then shipped back as my second piece of luggage on Virgin Atlantic.

It’s Trans Blue, XT drive train, Chris King headset, white brothers forks (the yellow Judy’s are long gone).

Cheers
Rory

Attachments

• IMG_2591.jpeg
    IMG_2591.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 21
Hello, New guy here from central Oregon. It's great to see the old Santa Cruz bikes popping up. I've been a fan for a long time and have been renewing several old Superlight and Heckler frames this last winter. I'm currently bringing back a Bullit 1, but am super excited about my latest find...a first year Tazmon 1, large 20" frame, number 173! It has the original paint and decals, and several oddities such as the headset, integrated seatpost clamp and rear canti brake pully. I think the forks are 1995 Rockshox Judy SL's or XC's...can't tell because they're painted over. The aftermarket disc brake, a ProStop, got pretty mixed reviews back in the day. It's going away, as are the wheels. The Risse Racing shock is in good shape. Risse is here in Redmond, Oregon, where I live, and they're a great group of people with expertise in all things bike suspension related. At age 70, most of my riding is high desert cross country, between 3,000 and 6,000 feet of elevation. The old Santa Cruz bikes are perfect for this.

Hello, New guy here from central Oregon. It's great to see the old Santa Cruz bikes popping up. I've been a fan for a long time and have been renewing several old Superlight and Heckler frames this last winter. I'm currently bringing back a Bullit 1, but am super excited about my latest find...a first year Tazmon 1, large 20" frame, number 173! It has the original paint and decals, and several oddities such as the headset, integrated seatpost clamp and rear canti brake pully. I think the forks are 1995 Rockshox Judy SL's or XC's...can't tell because they're painted over. The aftermarket disc brake, a ProStop, got pretty mixed reviews back in the day. It's going away, as are the wheels. The Risse Racing shock is in good shape. Risse is here in Redmond, Oregon, where I live, and they're a great group of people with expertise in all things bike suspension related. At age 70, most of my riding is high desert cross country, between 3,000 and 6,000 feet of elevation. The old Santa Cruz bikes are perfect for this.
hey Rusty, out of curiosity how would I be able to figure out what production # my tazmon is?? I'm also unsure what year exactly it was made.. I do know it's within the 94-97 style tazmon 1 because it doesn't have the cut outs in the rear triangle near the axle..

Hello, the Tazmons have the serial # under the bottom bracket. The earliest Tazmons had 3 or 4 digit serial numbers. Later, starting 1995, they went to a more standard serial number system with letters and numerals. The first two numbers are the year. The Tazmons originally had an integral seat post clamp used in 1994 and 1995. In 1996 they went to a separate clamp style, and 1997-98 the dropouts changed to those also used by the Heckler 2. The Heckler 1 used the early Tazmon dropouts.

Hello, the Tazmons have the serial # under the bottom bracket. The earliest Tazmons had 3 or 4 digit serial numbers. Later, starting 1995, they went to a more standard serial number system with letters and numerals. The first two numbers are the year. The Tazmons originally had an integral seat post clamp used in 1994 and 1995. In 1996 they went to a separate clamp style, and 1997-98 the dropouts changed to those also used by the Heckler 2. The Heckler 1 used the early Tazmon dropouts.
Nice one, it say's 95 under the BB but it does have the separate seat post clamp ...must be a late 95 frame.

Back