Salsa a la Carte Jellybean

This is lovely super build sir. :cool:

I think that this pattern is Rasta - the Jelly Bean ones are the separated brush strokes.

I have a the same frame, Moto stem & bonty fork in the garage that is ear marked for a very similar build but with silver as the fork is a chrome one. My frame is right border line ‘patina vs down right scruffy’ not mint like yours - I have toyed with having it repainted but the history of those hand brushed rasta stripes means it’ll probably just stay that way :)

How did you look up your frame number?
I must confess I thought Rasta and Jellybean were different names for the same paint job. The variations in looks come down to them being done by hand randomly, but I now need to do a bit of research.
I think yours sounds ideal, it’s hard to repaint something that is totally hand painted. Keep it as is and build it.

Regarding the frame number I just looked at other frames and narrowed down the year of production.

IMO, these are the best riding bikes of the period, I’ve owned and ridden klien attitude, merlin, pace rc100, gt xizang, marin team ti, kona hei hei all around the 1990/91 vintage, not sure what it is but the Salsa has always been #1 for me - guess that’s why I sold the rest and ended up with two of these 🤣

Do regret selling the Xizang though, and the FRO… :(
I can’t wait to ride this properly, just awaiting a cracked rib to mend then I will. Cursory trips on it feel amazing (apart from deeply painful lol)

I have to say it's one of the best looking mountain bikes I've had the pleasure to view, spot on build choices

Such great proportions, color choices, etc

I have to say it's one of the best looking mountain bikes I've had the pleasure to view, spot on build choices

Such great proportions, color choices, etc
Cheers, that’s very kind. In the flesh it seems to work even better, it just looks right.

IMO, these are the best riding bikes of the period, I’ve owned and ridden klien attitude, merlin, pace rc100, gt xizang, marin team ti, kona hei hei all around the 1990/91 vintage, not sure what it is but the Salsa has always been #1 for me - guess that’s why I sold the rest and ended up with two of these 🤣

Do regret selling the Xizang though, and the FRO… :(
That´s the story i hear from people i highly respect: Salsas are the handling benchmark for all around rinding when it comes to late 80s/90s mtbs. On top of that, wonderfull style/attitude. It´s the bike to ride.

Back