Salsa a la Carte Jellybean

This is my favourite build going on this site right now. I just have a thing for early 90s Salsas. Always felt they embody the essence of what a mountain bike is to me: all around, unpretentious, tough, fun, progressive w/ deep understanding of geometry beneath the wild paint.
And Salsa stems are just beautifull. I want a 135mm one, badly.
I have cinsidered a Salsa handlebar, but im not too fussed. i wont let it hold up the build but if ones turns up then great. Otherwise my plan is a period correct 1991 Syncros handlebar and perhaps matching seatpost. As an aside, ive never been a fan of headset cable stops personally, i always think a cable guide/roller on the stem is a much neater solution, so happy to have a Pro-moto coming.

Well it’s arrived and it’s gorgeous. I’ve had a little bit of time this morning to start stripping it down and prepping it for the changes I’ll make.

I’ve put sone black Xt/Araya rm20 wheels on and tanwall tyres to see how it looks. Visually this is what I’m going for, but the parts will change.

But damn it looks good I think.

Awaiting the correct forks and hunting for a few bits now.
D272560B-016C-4168-A39C-8AFD4FB31041.jpeg 3DC87A6E-6531-4CFA-97E6-0EF656E9715F.jpeg

Such a soulfull bike. And from what i hear, the ride is exceptional.

It is! I had one for a short while but impecunity meant it had to go. You won't regret buying this beauty!

So, I may be making this up, but IIRC the Bonty forks that were supplied to Salsa for their frames have a ‘7’ stamped on the crown to indicate they were designed for a different head angle.

I think.

I imagine it makes very little difference, and for what its worth I don’t *think* my A la Carte has that crown, and its the fork that came with the frame originally.

Not much help that, is it.

So, I may be making this up, but IIRC the Bonty forks that were supplied to Salsa for their frames have a ‘7’ stamped on the crown to indicate they were designed for a different head angle.

I think.

I imagine it makes very little difference, and for what its worth I don’t *think* my A la Carte has that crown, and its the fork that came with the frame originally.

Not much help that, is it.
Interesting, I didn’t know that. I’ll check mine tomorrow and see what’s what,

Back