Sakae Ringyo Litage ATB

bikesandwatches

Dirt Disciple
Here is my newest project... something that started unexpectedly. While doing research for some another old MTB frame, I stumbled on ebay on a lighlty used Litage. I just had to have this one! I did not even know before that SR made bikes, I only knew them for their ubiquitous seatposts and some cranksets. The internal cable routing is unusual for a MTB, where cables seem often slapped on the frame like an afterthought. First impression : nicely made, not as flimsy and light as I thought it would be. Not at all like an Alan, tubing is much bigger.

My frameset :

Here are some references; they appear in the 1988 and 1991 catalogues at least :
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... t/liteage/
https://www.proteanpaper.com/scart_resu ... 30%201989c

They also have been branded by other outfits, like Liyang, Ross, Rider, Jual, BH Supra, Wilier and 3Rensho (I read this in a German forum, they seem to have been distributed in Germany and UK at least). Road frames may be more common?

Also, while sipping my morning coffee and browsing Retrobike I stumbled into this just today in the classifieds :cool: :

I already have a nice wheelset to go with it, Mavic XM317 rims with butted spokes and RPM blue hubs. A friend who has lots of parts set aside for me a rear mech (Suntour XC Comp), so it is a good start. I saw a White Industries crank laying around, mmhhh...

I did not find much info on the RPM (Racing Parts Maier) brand, my German being fairly rusty... Probably not widely known outside Germany.

Spec sheet so far:

Frame: Sakae Ringyo Litage ATB bonded 5056 aluminium frame
Fork: Sakae Ringyo Litage ATB aluminium fork
Handlebar: Sakae Ringyo Fx titanium MTB-428AS
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Comp
Rims: Mavic XM317
Hubs: RPM anodized blue
Spokes: Sapim butted
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 908
  • 365245158_e7ef930e3f_b.jpg
    365245158_e7ef930e3f_b.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 911
  • page_10.jpg
    page_10.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 916
  • page_11.jpg
    page_11.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 921
  • page_19.jpg
    page_19.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 914
  • FB87A650-E3E9-4252-B4B9-7C75A2932862.jpeg
    FB87A650-E3E9-4252-B4B9-7C75A2932862.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 912
  • moyeu.jpg
    moyeu.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 907
Very nice :D I find bonded bikes very interesting. This is a very rare one.

I found interesting NOS parts for this build : a Sakae seat post, some cool brake levers, and an XC Comp front derailleur that will match a rear XC Comp a friend has set aside for me. This will be a bike mostly made in Japan...

Frame: early 1990s Sakae Ringyo Litage ATB bonded 5056 aluminium frame
Fork: early 1990s Sakae Ringyo Litage ATB aluminium fork

Handlebar: Sakae Fx titanium MTB-428AS

Brake Levers: Dia Compe PC8 anodized blue

Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Comp
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Comp

Rims: Mavic XM317
Hubs: RPM anodized blue
Spokes: Sapim butted
Tyres: Maxxis DTH Skinwall
Tubes: Michelin AirComp

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite Titanium
Seatpost: Sakae TCO 28.6

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 563
  • s-l5002.jpg
    s-l5002.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 564
  • s-l5003.jpg
    s-l5003.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 564
It may take a few weeks more to be complete, but I'll try to snap some pics shortly. Now that I have a nice seat post (the most specific part imho), it is all downhill from here. Next step is trying a few stems, and select the most comfortable...

My friend is OK for selling me his White industries crank set, yay!

bikesandwatches":25axyszz said:
It may take a few weeks more to be complete, but I'll try to snap some pics shortly. Now that I have a nice seat post (the most specific part imho), it is all downhill from here. Next step is trying a few stems, and select the most comfortable...

My friend is OK for selling me his White industries crank set, yay!

A Sakae "The Pipe" would be ideal for this if you can find one! (Edit: see link below!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sakae-The-Pi ... Swj39eEgs-

As for the White Industries cranks, I'm not sure they would suit this frame at all, being far newer? Only my opinion of course.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yes, I thought about buying this stem but I have some kind of chronic shoulder pain, I'd prefer a less aggressive position, so I will try shorter riser stems...

Are Sugino made White Industries cranks that much newer than the frame? I thought they were from the 90s... not top of the line, but these look simple and well made.

bikesandwatches":39nbrkz1 said:
Yes, I thought about buying this stem but I have some kind of chronic shoulder pain, I'd prefer a less aggressive position, so I will try shorter riser stems...

Are Sugino made White Industries cranks that much newer than the frame? I thought they were from the 90s... not top of the line, but these look simple and well made.

That Pipe stem is 120mm, so fairly short for the time, better to get one that fits you though. You might be able to find a Tioga T Bone or similar with a decent amount of rise.

I believe the Sugino made White industries cranks are circa 1996, your frame is 1988ish?

Back