Sakae Litage ATB - Gravel/Dropbar build

Baeli_Baer

Retro Newbie
Hello,

not usually on RetroBike but did venture on this site some time back and found myself in the classified section, as you do!!.

As it works out I seem to love many things retro and came across the listing below which took my fancy, a couple of IMs later and the frame was mine.
Before I go on, a big shout out to Rod_Saetan who I bought the frame off, seems the chap is a serious contributor to the forum so big kudos to him and also apologies to my monstrosity of a build to your lovely frame.

Anyways,
I initially made an effort to buy a few parts for the build but life got in the way and the poor thing has sat in the loft since 2014!!
Finally, it came to the second half of 2021, the stars aligned and it was time to build up this thing.
Did umm and aah about whether to build this up as a flat bar with period correct Powerbulge bar, TCO seatpost and Pipe stem (all of which I have!)
or go drop bar.

Well as it is so fashionable right now I went for a drop bar (mainly because i've never owned a drop bar bike (my wife has just bought a dropbar carbon thing and i'm jealous (but really because it's cool right now))).

Did keep period specific 7 speed (3x up front, 21 gears!!!! Amazing! It's 19 gears more than I've ever had before! Love it ).

Have only really built up single speed, fixed gear and the odd duomatic - all Moultons, so this was quite an adventure. Pictures are below. Have to say I am super pleased with how this turned out.

It rides like a dream. Front brake works lovely, though the back is a bit mushy.

This is now my 'good' bike and plan to take on day rides maybe a few Audax rides (so would need to fit mudguards), though will spend most of my time on it on the kickr (terrible I know but it's better then keeping my single speed on it.

Couple of chips i'd like to touch up but think i'm pretty much there. At some point I would like a shorter stem (it is currently on the lowest position). Also worried about how long the microNew(!!) shifters will last so may need to get some Shimano ones.

Really love the bonded frame (damn I hope this thing doesn't fall apart!).
Dat seatstay bridge!

Anyway thank you retrobike for making me poorer (but obviously happier). I shall now plan to forget this site exists as I fear stumbling into the classified section again and seeing history repeat itself!

AM-JKLX6c8a_1tn-o3GLFxqEq6I12byFeOKR55ZCvelRT0M_kWY6GRdmsGzH4-xB9SeroBoojI4ySsX18uAQjjcQqZLnBbbnJ1lAEzY9s-CXyPHPX6grCBavePBPJlJFrid2k55_7aZ75LUym-cNpYK-2oBl=w1174-h880-no

AM-JKLUxrOvgHyRLNQDrEgP_md9JOm95GiKMtAF7dxFOlgrl55KPyXHuCW43IJ4MO3sVnKIdEDjd6Tcl60ipgLRy5OFQSwj67HmYw2iY828UOLGZUMwFN7LjYg67j1BxGe2YnAN_Ly3UdF2Mvs6nde-i4ZLs=w1174-h880-no

AM-JKLUVc4LOFhX3DsWu6KxI3cYMPzdD5r15SCeGkVIhewS0Oykrm3VU3xyihl3yYusmTxl4wFBDekc22VCAwEGvTuXtoDv_mwBj4lEBFFVezRjtd-ePb28bDlbC1F-VXJGwJZ3WMoFHVOznZJJ0l4feIlBg=w660-h880-no

AM-JKLXiu_IFxVCELf-4t4lTWoHGNU2drapKVQv5QGN8ktjfy6AzFxIkAjfu8NPV-sfOnLljUEO7vux3CvPwgOh51CtCALFlecK2zIN0S_Mmf25R9-bvpXP1gSCbdMDnrYsd2chhMWUPND0yEeMWhxvwS3Da=w660-h880-no

AM-JKLVP0c_aWYIG_ODFz9QVp7fCI2dOXtw2yKG2kseu9gPHZHNu__S6sxArXntlVl_Ma6N2ekP_UFdZ39tc4UlOQ1Doh2R2ZMR_FZf6_5wGqmlVcXHoWUZDxpIOCVTaVLUHJO-czS6DKJPiNqPb6bmcIUO5=w1174-h880-no
AM-JKLU_5NmccENELGuwqDFPMt2dZWgkoTLCk0bA8byV51UTtWxYiIDCLxV3sfcof8MWecbYwPST8KW6M8CAUEeFbcw5cQ-yjoet2FyAK3Oiu1-cqxttornmoTXDQDMW9zds9SkLpp2rx-KGwnL7Li6Sen_k=w1174-h880-no

AM-JKLWT3vW9SdtnRw_sCVCUDkT6HMMiunJcyWF4JU2HWC82TYYrbaKx08EjQwwCDM1hfqYzsIoEfbPlMWLr05HuKmY46NshJjA6bs4FeR26W28SHCmCviC6qnPeNksqSVYnACjxxTskgJeayWYygeoGGZeI=w660-h880-no

AM-JKLWTieKuCkME866rKNtZ-Q5XMP4-myD71-Ap9fyWzXInBKRpl9ubBN4dHwNP5y7KqqIBp_9nur52CmPCIFT4AszhRj1u8kC4tN4V83k38gmovcxGrM-AEC1kaqY6HjpJ5j8kJocYRNTivfRgany2EUP_=w660-h880-no

Nice, I like what you've done with it :cool:

Got to love a triple pulley Suntour. I’ve got a triple pulley Lepree waiting for the right build. They made some beautiful kit.

Amazing! Looks great, I always wondered what had happened to that frame, I'm glad its found a use after all this time. I really like these (and should probably never have sold this one, ho hum), I have the road version in the garage at the moment, sadly its not purple though.

The frame has very interesting details like the internal routing through top- and downtube, the tiny holes for the glue and of course the paralel twin-tube 'monostay'. Pretty rare paint scheme. A real gem.

Personally I think there are nicer alternatives for the Shimano freewheel and cable hangers.

Note to self to dig out my road Litage (Light Advantage) frame from the garage and see what I can do with it :)

Back