Saddle rail replacement

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
I've got this lovely white Turbo date stamped 1986, the upper is in really good shape for its age, and a good refurb would bring it up lovely. But the steel rail is completely rusted.

Is there anywhere that replaces the rails on old saddles? I found an old forum post that says Selle Italia used to do this for any of their saddles for a fee, but I can't find any recent info on this service, except in relation to saddles under warranty.

There are some videos that show how it can be done using brute force and crowbars, but I'd happily pay someone who knows what they're doing to take care of it.

The rail could be cleaned up, but the rust will only return, plus it's heavy, it would be nice to get a new Ti rail under there once the upper has been refreshed.

Attachments

• P1010412.JPG
    P1010412.JPG
    358.5 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010413.JPG
    P1010413.JPG
    453.6 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010414.JPG
    P1010414.JPG
    312.9 KB · Views: 9
Can I suggest soaking some kitchen roll in rust remover, wrapping the kitchen roll around the rails, then covering in cling film and leaving overnight?

Crowbarring saddle rails out seems an extreme solution to an otherwise easily manageable issue. Turbos always weighed a ton - where were you going to source a set of Ti rails (that fit without being rebent) from?

where were you going to source a set of Ti rails (that fit without being rebent) from?

I was hoping there might be some fella with a stash of rails who's mastered the art of popping them off and on again. 🤣

But yeah, you're right, cleaning them up isn't that much of an issue, and it's just an old turbo at the end of the day.

… and I was hoping you were going to say “yeah.. I have this old NOS Flite Evo that I was going to scavenge for rails..” 😊

Back