Sachs Powergrip 8 Speed Gripshift £12

scant

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
Sachs Powergrip 8 Speed Gripshift. perfect working order £12posted uk mainland only

PM me for more info

I know Mike won't mind me replying for him, so here's how to do it.

Till I bought a 21st century bike last year, a Sonder Transmitter with Sram GX, all my retro MTBs had/have Powergrip Waveys.

If you look at the 3rd pic you'll see a trapezoid shaped little access plate, carefully unclip it then rotate shifter till cable end comes into sight.
Gently jiggle and push cable from other end of shifter till cable end pops out. Carefully push new cable in then refit access plate unless you've lost it......ask me how I know.
It is easier with a brand new uncut cable as the end is fused and won't unravel as an already cut cable will tend to/can do as it is pushed around inside shifter.

To lube inside shifter which would be a good idea before using it, you separate the grip from body of shifter by pulling it off, it just clicks together. I used some white bike grease with PTFE in it to lube where cable runs, don't remember which kind. There is also a cover on the cable outlet that is held on by a wee screw, taking this off allows you to lube the cable run there too. Think grip needs to be slightly unclicked or better removed to allow this cover to be taken off after the screw is out.
To put grip back on it has to be fitted in correct orientation otherwise it won't fit together. there are 4 small indents in body of shifter with 4 corresponding wee lugs on grip. Look closely and you will see one of these indents/lugs has 2 wee extra bits at base of them. fit it together with these lined up.

Last edited:
Cheers, OCP!
I already thought it was about the trapezoid thingy: just haven't been able to remove it yet. It seems you should push it? Moreover, it seems that the (LH) shifter works thr other way round, as compared to a regular GripShift, or am I wrong?

Back